Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S.A. grip bushing

poolguy

I have a S. A. loaded model 1911. I have fouled up one of the grip bushings. Springfield calls it an escutcheon. I have a standard bushing and it is too small. Bushing is .236. I know that and oversize is .255. The hole mikes at .240. Springfield shipped me the bushing they claim they use on every 1911 that they build. It is .236 and doesn't fit. They tell me that I have stripped the threads in the frame and will need to tap it for an oversize bushing. The threads are fine. I have pulled another bushing off the same gun and threaded it in the other hole and it is perfect. I don't want to tap it for an oversize bushing when it isn't jacked up. Can somebody please tell me what and where to get what I am needing?

The .255 dimension is the OD of the oversize thread. Mike the thread of the good bushing that fits, and see if it is a few thousanths under .255

Keep in mind you are measuring the MAJOR diameter of the bushing (the outside of its threads) and the MINOR diameter (inside of the threads) of the tapped hole in the frame. The hole is going to measure smaller than the OD of the bushing.

Let us know how it turns outs.