Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New ICORE Shooter

Good Evening - I've been a trap and bullseye up until now, but the idea of competing in ICORE competitions with a revolver looks like it would be a great change of pace and a lot of fun. I do not own a revolver, so I'm looking for suggestions regarding what to purchase. I would like a gun that would give me the flexibility to initially shoot in either Limited or Classic and possibly upgrade the gun with an optic to shoot Unlimited (My 66 year-old eyes aren't what they used to be.) I was thinking about an S&W 625 since I already load .45 acp for bullseye and would not have to purchase the reloading supplies and equipment necessary to load another caliber. I am open to other options, however. Looking ahead, what make holsters do you suggest? Looking into the future, what type of optics, e.g., Ultradot or C-More, etc. are used in the Unlimited class? Thanks in advance for your comments. Dr. J

Dr.J, A few have competed with the 625, but they have been hard to come by lately. A L frame Smith or a GP 100 Ruger will allow you to use it in in open or classic. You may want to have it cut for moons. There is a long discussion on the mod. Also the smaller caliber (38) may give a better flight path on longer shots. It is all dependent on you and what the games in your area are present. A lot of ICORE guys will help you out on a trial match with their rigs or may have an extra for you to try to see what you prefer. These mentioned are not the only choices you have though. later rdd

Doc, my thoughts are for one of the 8 shot guns. For the classic class 625 wouldn't work, ie moon clips not allowed. Since, you load .45 it may sound good to stay with the same caliber and if you were shooting USPSA, it would work. However, ICORE limited and future optic in Open would be best with a 8 shooter, and you can try USPSA with the new inclusion of 8 shot minor rule. Which 8 shooter is good question you can see in the other topic of the forum, especially with the 929 9mm model out this year.

As a former bullseye shooter who started with a revolver before moving to the 1911, ICORE is the best mix of speed and accuracy, you just will need to work on or adjust to double action trigger pull.

As for a holster for either of the guns, I prefer the CR Speed, because of the flexibility. As for moonclip holder I've used both north mountain and speed-e-rack for ICORE I prefer the rack, but would loose loaded clips with stainless clips but never with spring steel ones. North mountains were solid but I have lost some clips on the draw from the bottom.

Regardless, I'm sure you will like ICORE.

I believe a 625 would work in Classic using 45AR ammunition.

HKS makes 45AR Speed Loaders.

If you decide to go this route I can probably make some 45AR HKS Kydex Carriers up to try.

You could also have a 686 cut for Moon Clips for Limited. TK has a good assortment of moon clips for the 686. NOTE: you will want to go with either Remington or Starline Brass. You will also need the correct moon clips for the brass you are going to use.

Come on down to a match. I have a moon clip cut 686 I can loan you to try.

I also have a 625. I am pretty sure I have One 45AR Speed Loader, and I think I have 150 rounds of new brass I could load up slowly. No shell plate for my 550B.

If you are planning on shooting ICORE and live in St Louis, you are probably planning on shooting with us anyway.

I am Club President at the Big Piney Sportsman's Club located in Houston Missouri. We are the only ICORE Range in Missouri.

roachw@wildblue.net

http://www.bigpineysportsmansclub.com/

Bob

ICORE MO2908

Edited by VIPERONE

• 7 months later...

HI All

I am a new shooter to ICORE, But by far I am not a new shooter or competitor.

9 years at Camp Perry National Matches (a long time ago).

I currently compete in SASS (Cowboy Action Shooting), Steel Challenge (both in Open Class (38Super) and in Rimfire (shooting a S&W 41).

I did compete in Glock Matches...but something had to go.

Since shooting cowboy matches, I have a renewed interest in Revolvers.

Had a S&W 67-5 in the safe and I decided to dust it off and start to shoot it my my local Steel Challenge club.

I had the cylinder cut by TK Industries to take full moon clips , changed the springs (7.4#'s), removed the rear sight and added a RTS2 red dot with a set of Miculek grips. This past week I was notified that my 986 that I ordered in Feb had come in so I am now the owner of a 9mm/7 shot that I have changed the springs on, grips and front sight to a HI Viz FO

The only problem is that there are no Revolver clubs in South East Florida yet...So I only get to shoot/ compete with them once a month.

Anyway, this is my story and I am sticking to it.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello to all.

Gary