Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First .223 loads and the powder dispenser

I've loaded nothing but 9mm on my 650 since I got it about a year ago. Now I finally have everything I need for .223, and I will load my first rounds today. Or, I should say that I THINK I have everything I need.

For the powder, I'm using Varget and following their specs, which is 27.5gr if I remember right. (I will verify this before loading!) IIRC, there are two different powder bars that one can put in the powder feed assembly. For this volume, do I use the larger one? I got the "deluxe" quick change kit, so however I setup this powder dispenser is how it will remain, permanently dedicated to .223 loading.

Thanks

I just started loading .223 this week. For powder work up I have used CFE .223 and IMR 8208XBR.

CFE .223 is like miniture ball bearings and flows through the Dillon drop the same way. My pulled loads were very consistent. I see a lot of flakes of CFE .223 on the bench after a session, Its so fine it migrates.

8208XBR looks like miniturized Varget. It was way more consistent through the Dillon drop than Varget. When I load Varget (30-06) I pull and trickle each load. I am confident 8208XBR will be consistent enough to run it on a powder check.

I also have TAC (a ball powder). I expect it will pull similar to CFE .223.

I am loading 77 Nosler CC's and these powders are reported to work well with the heavies.

Varget can work for you but you may have to really check your drops. Even after polishing, shining, and smoothing the drop I never felt confident my loads were dropped consistently and that is with the benefit of a large 30-06 case for those logs to drop into. I can only imagine .223 will present more problems if you want to go full progressive.

If you can pick up any of the 3 powders I mentioned or BLC-2, or AR Comp or RL15 you may get better results. In this era of the powder drought though consider yourself lucky you found Varget - its like a Unicorn these days.

...but to answer your question, Yes use the large powder bar.

Edited by pmclaine

Varget can be troublesome in the Dillon measure. I love Varget, but for dead on powder drops on a progressive press, its not the best.

To say the least...........

But, I have a few pet loads that I can't duplicate with any other powder.

I've tried every trick in the book and have had more bullet pulling sessions than I care to admit.

The "Holy Grail" for me has been the addition of the RCBS Uniflow with the case activated linkage kit. It throws very consistent charges and the long drop tube has virtually eliminated the bridging.

post-18319-0-67201300-1389531947_thumb.jpost-18319-0-60433200-1389531982_thumb.j

Life is good again!

For the powder, I'm using Varget and following their specs, which is 27.5gr if I remember right. (I will verify this before loading!)

What weight bullet are you going to use?

I'd save the Varget for heavier bullets.

Kampr

That is exactly what I'm doing!! The "improved RCBS" works much better. I've tried to get the folks at Harrel's to make an adapter for their measure. The Harrel's will throw Varget with acceptable variation - meaning mostly "nuts on." But for now the RCBS is what I use for the big stick stuff.

Thanks all. I'm using 55 grain bullets, and I loaded them to 25 grains, which filled the case up quite a bit. This rifle loading is such a different world from sitting down and cranking out a thousand 9mm as an evening task.

I have just a one pound can of Varget, so it won't last long. After that, I have 8 pounds of N335. Perhaps that will be more Dillon-friendly.

Thanks all. I'm using 55 grain bullets, and I loaded them to 25 grains, which filled the case up quite a bit. This rifle loading is such a different world from sitting down and cranking out a thousand 9mm as an evening task.

I have just a one pound can of Varget, so it won't last long. After that, I have 8 pounds of N335. Perhaps that will be more Dillon-friendly.

H335 meters great out of the Dillon powder measure and is better suited to 55 grainer’s.

I’ll bet I’m not the only long range shooter that’s cringing a bit that you’re using Varget to push a 55gr pill…… :eatdrink:

Incase you didn't know, Varget's been a bit hard to come by this last year............

Good luck & be careful.

I don't use Varget for .223 (I use H335), but when I do use Varget (.308), I hand-weigh and drop. I hear Varget doesn't work well with automatic dispensers. (I never tried it myself since I heeded the advice of others.) I use the RCBS Chargemaster dispenser and scale.... and manually drop my powder in station 5 through the funnel on my 1050. To me it is the best of both worlds: progressive loading with hand-weighed charges.

Edited by G29SF

It's an interesting variety that exists in this shooting world. I'm currently in the mode of being accurate enough to hit reasonably sized targets while on the clock, while also being able to shoot and load as much as possible while still being a good husband and father to two kids. There is this whole other world out there of that slow fire with goals of accuracy, where people can start to see the differences among powders and primers. That is years away for me! When my kids are grown and I am able to live at a more reasonable pace, this is definitely where I'll be, and I look forward to that. Until then, my favorite primers are the cheapest ones and my favorite powder is the in-stock one!