Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Pin Removal Issue

Workingspy

Hello, so I have a large competition frame that I am trying to swap out the hammer on. I got the pin pin out no problem but i can't seem to get the hammer pin out if I tried. I watched the hennings video and his comes out easy, am I missing something? It feels like im hitting it way to hard, I bend my punch and I don't want to damage a brand new gun lol. Any ideas.

Oh and I am hitting it out towards the hammer pin pin. And I've done this before with no problems so this is kinda confusing.

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

This is an older mid 90's comp large frame model. I also saw in a video of dismantling a limited custom and the hammer screwed out using some tweezers, but I dont see how I can grip it.

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

mine had pressure on it when I tried the 1st time, even using a small screwdriver I couldn't get it out. Then I pushed down on the hammer a bit, and then fired the retaining pin across the shop where I work.

Needless to say it was gone........Then 2 weeks later I happened to look down and it was sitting in a crack in the floor!

Anyways I found that if there is any pressure on it at all its stuck in there pretty hard, but if you get the pressure off of it, it falls right out.

Ok so at least im not the only one. I've changed four hammers previously and they all just slid out. I tried last night again feeling motivated after just swapping in a delta hammer in my buddies new Hunter. I tried to push the hammer in every possible way and still nothing, it did look like there was a relief of pressure when I pushed one way but it didn't make a difference. This is driving me nuts.

Cheers,

Evan

mine had pressure on it when I tried the 1st time, even using a small screwdriver I couldn't get it out. Then I pushed down on the hammer a bit, and then fired the retaining pin across the shop where I work.

Needless to say it was gone........Then 2 weeks later I happened to look down and it was sitting in a crack in the floor!

Anyways I found that if there is any pressure on it at all its stuck in there pretty hard, but if you get the pressure off of it, it falls right out.

How exactly and where did you push on the hammer to relieve it?

Cheers,

Evan

Still trying to get this damn thing out to with no luck, this is starting to drive me a little mad. Ive pressed and pushed in every direction and the pin feels welded in wtf. Any more ideas cause im gonna keep trying, im on a mission now ;-). Worse case I figure I leave the pin pin out and hopefully the hammer pin might back its self out eventually lol.

Cheers,

Evan

Is it possible for you to post a pic or two of what you are trying to do? Some of your descriptions don't really paint a picture for me. Perhaps there is something I'm missing from the text, but what you are trying to do shouldn't be this hard.

If you have removed the small pin on the left side there is nothing else that hold the hammer pin in place but friction with the frame .Get a bigger hammer, that simple , you can't get it out just by pushing it. Once removed polish or run the pin under the drill press with some 2000 grid paper so it goes in smooth next time. Yes I have come across of some oversized hammer pins that need a good tap { pin comes out from the left side } to get them out.

Anyone ever try and throw the frame in the freezer to try and shrink the pin? Or is that a stupid idea.

Im still trying tobdobitbin my own. Up here in Canada with out stupid regulations I cant just drive down to a friends to get some help.

This is really holding my project back, I have a delta hammer, hennings hammet pin that I need to ream out the frame for. These are the last things before its all done.

Cheers,

Evan

Had to do that with my .50 Beowulf on a rail change once, threw the whole upper in the freezer, and then torched it to break the barrel but loose.

My wife was NOT happy when she went in the freezer lol.

I would say it couldn't hurt to try it...

Yah that how im doing it. Like I mentioned ive changed four hammers on four guns and I didnt think this would be any different, boy way I erong lol. I need to pick up a better punch (bent thd crap out of mine repetitively) and small mallet, this time ill also get some help to thakr pressure off the hammer. If that doesnt work im completely out of ideas.

Cheers,

Evan

FINALLY. So all it took after all was a BFH and a stronger punch. Obce I had it out I polished all the coating off and now it works as it is supossed to. Thanks for all the help and ideas, hope to hear from you all with my next problem lol.

Cheers,

Evan