Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dawson ice magwell for G35 gen3 limited 10. medium or heavy?

sigsauerfan

what's your preference and why? i'm about to order one, but still asks myself which one might works best with 10 round mags with no extension, i use jentra mag bumpers only. i asks this because i've been told stock mags works but fit flush with the magwell edges. seems like the only problem that may arise is there's no grip left on the mag to pull it off if ever i need to....is this something i should be really concerned with??

however, i'm torn between the heavier 6.7 once , OR the 5 once unit . sure , i'm looking at easier reloads, but also at the one that may counterbalance muzzle flip the most . i reflect that heavier is better, but maybe i miss something.

your first hand experience might save my money from being thrown out the window in a wrong way .

Edited by sigsauerfan

There was a thread last year that you would be interested in searching for. Someone tested different weight magwells and guiderods, and reported on the effect they had on felt recoil and muzzle flip. Their conclusions were basically that a heavier guiderod helped a lot while a heavier magwell didn't help, and in fact may have increased muzzle flip.

This made sense to me because of how low the weight of the magwell sits in relation to the bore. The weight of the slide in recoil just pivots around the weight of the heavy magwell. The lighter magwell had a more straight rearward recoil feel.

I personally use the light aluminum Dawson Ice. I like it because the weight, but also because it has the replaceable Ice insert. My G24 shoots very flat with the aluminum magwell. The Heavy(medium) model has a delrin insert, but the Super Heavy(heavy) version is solid and doesn't have the delrin insert.

Edited by lucky #7

well,you enlighten some thoughts and suspicions i had, without being able to validate them ; since i had no answers in this thread , i've tried to see the dilemna through basic logic . perhaps my calculation got me partially in the wrong direction ; i ordered the super heavy ice magwell loll . anyways there's the brass plug coming with it , i'll see how it goes with, and without the brass plug.

i reflected that since the added weight rest down the bore axle, muzzle flip might be tamed by the fact the weight sits Under my grip, then a firm grip would cancel some of the flip helped by the weight down low. i hope it's no flawed logics LOL.

Edited by sigsauerfan

There was a thread last year that you would be interested in searching for. Someone tested different weight magwells and guiderods, and reported on the effect they had on felt recoil and muzzle flip. Their conclusions were basically that a heavier guiderod helped a lot while a heavier magwell didn't help, and in fact may have increased muzzle flip.

This made sense to me because of how low the weight of the magwell sits in relation to the bore. The weight of the slide in recoil just pivots around the weight of the heavy magwell. The lighter magwell had a more straight rearward recoil feel.

I personally use the light aluminum Dawson Ice. I like it because the weight, but also because it has the replaceable Ice insert. My G24 shoots very flat with the aluminum magwell. The Heavy(medium) model has a delrin insert, but the Super Heavy(heavy) version is solid and doesn't have the delrin insert.

I disagree. It might change depending on gun model as well but have you tried any of the super heavy magwells? I have two G17's, one is bone stock and the other has a heavy brass zev magwell weighing around 8 oz's. The difference in felt recoil/muzzle flip is night and day. I understand the thinking that you would want more weight up front and that makes sense, but you can only get so much weight up front with a tungsten guide rod or whatever. Adding overall weight to a gun as light as a Glock in my experience seems to make a positive improvement as long as it's not a moving part. The only downside is the heavier you get the slower you are to manuever the gun. I believe at the very least adding a heavy magwell is certainly not going to make muzzle flp worse, as long as ones grip is appropriate.

Anybody else with experience using heavy magwells care to chime in?

Edited by G17

A 9mm doesn't have much recoil to speak of anyway. Limited major is a whole different animal. A .40 behaves much differently under recoil than a 9mm. Regardless, it's all personal preference anyway. It's all about how you like your gun to feel under recoil.

A 9mm doesn't have much recoil to speak of anyway. Limited major is a whole different animal. A .40 behaves much differently under recoil than a 9mm. Regardless, it's all personal preference anyway. It's all about how you like your gun to feel under recoil.

walked into so doubts after thinking further about the equation : lower counterweight VS bore axle = mellower muzzle flip .

concluded the initial vertical thrust of the muzzle is probably counteracted by the magwell weight considering the 6.7 onces claimed by the super heavy ice . combined with the fact i'm shooting 40 major and not factory, the extra weight of the Dawson super heavy sure help at tracking the sight faster.

i however settled on the 5.5 once ice heavy since Dawson is dry on the super heavy , as well as most of the other suppliers

i'm now looking around for +0 basepad extensions that would work with the Dawson unit. all the arredondo stuff is BO everywhere i clicked .

Edited by sigsauerfan

Did you take a look at dawson's? They have +0 basepads that you can get in 4 different sizes.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000006D-1388517803

they're pretty for sure.dawson offers only quality parts,how i 'd like to get a set or 2 of their adjustable sights. about the basepads i finally settled on Taylor-freelance brass +0 pads (from glockparts.com ) for more weight added down low . i'm waiting for my ICE HEAVY magwell to land on my door ,don't know what to expect as feel with this combo . i'm looking for a clear idea on what weight can provide to tame the front the best i can. if it's too heavy and doesn't bring as much i thought i'll get some in alu....was looking at double alpha units,pretty and light.

Edited by sigsauerfan

Heavier is better but I run a seattle slug which is 2 oz lighter and like that set up.

interesting...since i already bought some Taylor-freelance basepads i might order one of those Seattle slugs to see how it works for me. however not sure if the slug works ok with the ice magwell insert.i'll see , if not the slug will be used in my other limited glock.

thanks for the heads up.

Heavier is better but I run a seattle slug which is 2 oz lighter and like that set up.

interesting...since i already bought some Taylor-freelance basepads i might order one of those Seattle slugs to see how it works for me. however not sure if the slug works ok with the ice magwell insert.i'll see , if not the slug will be used in my other limited glock.

thanks for the heads up.

I don't believe the seattle slug will work with the dawson ice magwell. Check out Zev's magwells, though. They have a medium and large brass insert that goes up into the frame, basically they use a seattle slug to hold their heavy brass magwell on. Just one of the many options they have for weights.

Edited by G17

i was going to settle on the ZEV unit, but then i realized the Dawson is quite popular too and works good with their unique ice insert .however i backed off from the super heavy 6.7 once unit in fear it might be too heavy,so i picked the heavy 5.5 unit telling myself i could easily add some weight later one way or another.

on top of that i have some problems since awhile to log in my zev tech account . Gerry told me they were at upgrading their online store system.situation last since couple weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Always go heavier, again it is simple physics. It take more force to get the weight moving. It will decrease the flip. I tried one of the steel frames for the Glocks one time and the gun was great to shoot when it would run. The problem was that the steel would not flex enough for the pistol to be reliable. Very little recoil when it was heavier and lower bore of the Glock was much flatter then a 2011. They got to run though !!!