Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14.45 mags with dawson pads

chanman

I only got 15 in with just the pads, 17-18 with Arredondo followers and springs. Occasional nose dive on the first round, but I need to polish the feed ramp. Haven't used it in a match yet, but it's a nice shooter.

When I used to shoot a P14 ,I used DP mag extentions and ISMI Para mag springs and got 18 rounds of 45acp in all my mags. They ran great too. You have modify the mag followers as DP instructions say to. There is a video on their website.

Edited by ParaGunner

Thanks paragunner, I thought I had heard someone talking about having to modify the follwer taking some material off the edges or something. I will take a look at the video when I order and find some Ismi springs

My Dawsons hold 17 (45acp 230gr rn) but I can have 1 in the chamber. I purchased their spring and followers from them (arrendondo blue) but I still had to take a coil off the spring for the 17th to comfortable fit so it would feed with 1 in the chamber. If you take 2 coils off you could get 18 (tight) but would weaken the spring. Also if you just mount the extension with no follower/spring you will notice that the dawson extension is slightly too small. you can see the 'lip' when you look down. I dremeled the inside so no lip was showing. No problems in my old p14-45. No problems so far after 100 rounds thru my new p14-45 custom. As a side note arrendondo and stock para extended base pads will not fit the new magwell. You have to do some fitting (filing) for them to seat. Do not file the magwell. Dawsons are good to go.

Thanks paragunner, I thought I had heard someone talking about having to modify the follwer taking some material off the edges or something. I will take a look at the video when I order and find some Ismi springs

Brownells seems to always have the ISMI Para mag springs in stock. They used to be labeled 140mm ISMI Para springs,but now they are just ISMI Para mag springs. They also have 170mm ISMI Para mag springs, but you only need the regular length springs. You do not need to cut coils of the springs, with a properly trimmed follower you might only be able to get 17 rounds at first until the spring takes a set, then you should be able to get 18 rounds reloadable once the spring takes a set. The Arrendondo Para mag followers are a good option if you don't want to modify the factory followers, but they're like $7-8 a piece. It's pretty easy to modify the factory followers with a small file and some emery cloth.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a chance to check my Para mags w/Dawson pads (I have 2 or 3 older versions of mags) and they will hold 18 rounds reloadable without any modifications to factory springs or followers. I load all my .45 ammo to fit these mags because they take factory fine but slightly deeper seated MG bullets!

FWIW

Richard