Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision rifle matches

FireShooter

I'm a 3 gunner and I'm wanting to get into precision rifle competition of the tactical kind. What organizations hold these matches? Also would y'all recommend bolt guns or can the semi autos keep up? Any information about this would I be greatly appreciated. Also rules and regs would really help out as well. I will continue to compete in 3 guns, just looking for some precision long range stuff that is more than just laying in one spot for hours to make a few shots. Thanks

Go to Tactical Matches dot com, you don't have to join the Precision Rifle Series to play the game, there maybe a Precision Rifle Club in your area, that would be a great way to start off, IMHO semi autos are a distinct disadvantage, and by a wide margin, you'll just just miss faster, plus some stages you must move "Bolt Back Mag Out" between shooting positions, that means with a semi you lose a round of ammo, and for the most part you won't be given time to fetch it, if you don't have a FFP(First Focal Plain) scope get one, and forget about MOA's, MRAD's are what the winners use, we all have a 308 bolt action, and I recommend getting one to learn with, but somebody with a hot 6mm round or 6.5 round(260Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor) will be the winner, 300Win Mag, WSM's, or anybody shooting a long action anything else will again be at a disadvantage, your rifle should also have a DBM(Detachable Box Magazine) that uses either AICS or AIAW mags, 3 ten rounders and a five round mag are all that is required, most of the time a Pistol is required, don't make your pistol shots, you get a zero for the stage because you didn't get a chance to shoot the rifle.

Equipment I use

Surgeon Action with a Rock 8 twist in 6.5 Creedmoor

Tubb T2K Muzzle Brake

Rock Solid Stock with AICS mags

TAB Gear Sling

Harris 6-9 swivel with notched legs, PodLok

TAB Gear or WieBad Rear Bag

Vortex Razor EBR3 scope in Vortex rings

JEC TLD(Target Locating Device) with a Vortex Razor 3moa reflex sight zeroed at 700 yards.

Precision rifle matches appear to fall more along the lines of outlaw type matches with each match director constructing rules and shooting challenges in any form they choose.

Bolt or gas? Depends in the match and the challenges they present. We saw several 3gun shooters do quite well locally running gas guns in 223 and 6.5 Grendel back in November. Biggest thing is to know the dope for a given rifle/cartridge/scope combo...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...