Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

weight of magwells in general

I've seen this asked elsewhere with no definitive answer. Does adding weight to a magwell "really" help with recoil? If so... why are seemingly the most popular magwells made out of aluminum? That seems to be inferior anyway since Dawson has that insert so it doesn't get beat up. Why wouldn't they all be made of heavy brass or stainless steel? Seems to me that you would always want to weight up the back/bottom of a pistol if possible if it did help, unless you went over a given weight limit, plus heavier materials wouldn't get beat up. I don't understand the popularity of aluminum.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

All a matter of balance and where you need the weight.

Weight further foward such as a tungsten rod is better for controlling muzzle rise. Weighted magwell is counterproductive place to put the weight for some. Sure alum is cheaper than brass but cost isint the reason.

This is one of those things that only you can decide for yourself what is best for you. When I first started the heavier the gun the better I felt it gave me more control, but as I progressed the gun started to seem slow and sluggish, almost as if I were waiting on the gun. Now fast foward a few years and I prefer to run my guns light, the sharp fast snap just works better for me now. Now having said all that there is no way that I can tell you if a weighted magwell will be good for you or not.

I like the weight of the heavy zev magwell alot on my 17. The gun was so light to begin with that adding 8 oz's wasn't exactly putting it overboard. It now feels just right. I definitely did notice it tamed recoil impulse a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...