Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bali AustralAsia Championships Photos

Neil Beverley

Please find below various piccys from Bali

phpZKL2Tp.jpg

I know I've posted this elsewhere but I like it!

phpIFj2nt.jpg

I mentioned the free beer (once or twice) but forgot to mention the girls!

phpmuVJAE.jpg

Me and Jerome

phpFnrftz.jpg

Jerome receives his well deserved trophy (which unfortunately didn't include one of the girls)

phpGQeUt1.jpg

Luca - The dragon is back!

phpRznHuo.jpg

The Range

phpzuz7uG.jpg

phpjBqfjX.jpg

Mike Voigt checks out competitor's gun.

phpnnGAiD.jpg

Part of my squad - the guys from Hong Kong are unfortunately missing.

Are all of those flags and banners there just for the match?!

:o

Eric

There were hundreds and hundreds of them and it looked spectacular. It made it look much more like the sporting event it was.

The flags were all advertising the match sponsors and apparently it's a big thing over there. They lined the 1/2 - 3/4 mile approach road as well.

I simply must attend, even if it's just to shag beer for the Bintang girls.

How about you drink the beer...and save the shagging for those poor deprived girls. B)

(poor girls...it looks like Donald Trump's apartment exploded on them. :D )

looked like the range is on a beachfront! probably hot as hell during the day without any trees! was the ground hard packed or was it loose sand?

awesome pics neil!

The range surface was very firm with grit and stones, some of it looked like ground/crushed coral. It still had excellent grip in the wet.

I overheard someone say that it was probably the best range surface they had ever seen for all weather shooting and I certainly had no complaints.

The range is located on an island that is accessed via a causeway. There were some residents on the island as well but this didn't appear to be a problem.

Yes it was as hot as hell but the organisers had not skimped on marquees/tents to provide cover. Also they installed a good quantity of running water toilets and each pair had a toilet attendant and a further crew going round constantly topping up the water. I never once found them dirty. The humidity was arguably the biggest problem.

They also delivered big quantities of water to the crew AND ICE to fill large bins with to keep the water cold.

ROs were fed well (buffet) in their own marquee and there was a choice of food for competitors.

There were ice cream vendors constantly cycling around which was a nice option.

phpiU9f7L.jpg

This is a picture of the range without the flags

phpAYIOmH.jpg

Layout of the range, i believe there were about 40 bays in total, varying in size and shape. The match didn't get close to using them all and many of them could have handled multiple stages.

That looks like a heaven of a range! :)

Now, we only need someone inventing the long-awaited teleport machine, so we don't have to deal with the PITA of trying to fly with guns and (restricted quantity) ammo to a wonderful match... <_<

That dragon can't possibly be made just for the match? Or a stage? It looks like some kind of cool entrance to the range. Awesome.

Erik

The dragon was a large feature of the match - a showcase - and it was part of a stage. I never asked, but my money is on it having been custom built for the match. Dragons are part of the culture. I

The dragon was used in both the HG and the SG matches but obviously with different targetry. In the picture below you will get a better idea of the scale and it was located on a HUGE range bay. You can just make out the end of the dragon's body which terminates just above the backstop.

The "body" snaked its way downrange and was formed with a roof and side panels, mostly netting for the side panels. These side walls had shooting apertures cut out to established the shooting positions but certainly for the shotgun match there were many solutions as to where to shoot from. probably 40 - 50 yards in total.

Luca

But will the dragon become a regular feature of international SG matches? :rolleyes:

phpZDPKnE.jpg

I simply must attend, even if it's just to shag beer for the Bintang girls.

How about you drink the beer...and save the shagging for those poor deprived girls. B)

(poor girls...it looks like Donald Trump's apartment exploded on them. :D )

Now here's a terrible thing.

There were 2 college girls allocated to each stage, all of them lovely, to help with the paperwork. They were ALL very pleasant and I heard no complaints about problems from the crew.

Furthermore there were at least 2 qualified ROs per stage and on some stages another 1 or 2. In addition each stage had at least 2 paid range helpers to patch and/or reset. The most I ever counted was 3 ROs + 7 helpers + 2 girls. There was no skimping.

One of the main sponsors was a cigarette company and they employed a large team of girls to be around the match and in the hotel and there was a constant stream of free cigs. I don't smoke but the girls were sure nice.

Luca

But will the dragon become a regular feature of international SG matches?  :rolleyes:

Yeah,

it won't be a SG Championship anymore, it will be renamed "chase the dragon worldwide" ... :D

Anyway, looks like I missed a lot of fun there (not to mention the shooting...) :(

php6XYarb.jpg

This is actually a photo of the IPSC Production Divison Committee's first meeting in Bali.

From left to right is Tim Anderson (RD IPSC Denmark and Chairman IPSC Rifle Rules Committee), Fritz Gepperth (RD IPSC Germany and IPSC General Secretary), yours truly, and IPSC President Nick Alexakos (obscuring Mike Voigt who was sitting on my left).

The dragon was a large feature of the match - a showcase - and it was part of a stage. I never asked, but my money is on it having been custom built for the match. Dragons are part of the culture.

And you would be right on the money. The dragon was indeed built just for the two 2004 matches (it wasn't there last year).

On the other hand they are planning two level 3's next year on the range under construction for the 2007. The Thai's love their shooting and produce a wonderful show. Go next year and get to know the region!

www.thpsa.com

Joel

i knew it, i knew it! too bad i missed bali! next time in thailand!

badpc.gifcry.gif

Any info on the Match in Thailand yet?

I can tell you whatever already fixed.

Next Australasian2007 will be host at Cholburi Province (45 min by driving to Eastern from Bangkok). And the end of November 2007.

We will try to run this shooting range in our next National level III match 2005. Update will be appear on www.thpsa.com mid of next year.