Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordered a custom limited xtreme - what should I know?

ChrisRR

I've placed an order for a Tanfoglio limited custom of the new xtreme line in 40. I'm new to these pistols and so likely unaware of what I may need to look out for by the way of spare parts requirement and or upgrade parts or any other gotchas. I've read of issues with peening firing pins and breaking sears, does anyone know if these sort of generic problems go across to the xtreme line or are likely too? Any advice on this matter appreciated.

I have two limited custom's in 40 and have found them to be very reliable. The only maintenance item I found to date is that I broke the firing pin springs in both guns at about 10,000 rounds so would check the springs around that point if you track round count. Keep an eye on grip screws if you don't locktite them. With the single screw I found that they loosen over time if you don't. Otherwise when you are cleaning the gun just give a visual.

I have just installed the new xtreme firing pins but haven't had a lot of shots down range with them yet. The OEM firing pins that I took out were in good shape [no peening]. Haven't heard of breaking sears - I did have a full inspection done by a gunsmith this past fall and he said mine was in great shape - surfaces showed no wear.

Spares I keep grip screws, recoil springs, mag follower, pins and some fiber optic - that's about it.

Also remove and clean the extractor and change the extractor spring every 10.000 rounds, more often if you use the pistol in competition. In my 10 years of shooting Tanfoglio the most problems I have encountered has had something to do with the extractor. I don't know how much you shoot, but plan on having to change the rear sight after 50.000 rounds, could be less, could be more.

Ah ok - thanks. Yeah I prefer fixed sights myself where possible, nice a low profile as I've had a lot of adjustable types come loose over the years for reasons best known to themselves. I shoot about 15,000 rounds per year (cast, polymer coat my own projectiles to keep costs down) so sounds like I will need to keep an eye on this.

I looked at the powder coating option however it was far to slow for the kind of time frames I was hoping for. What I do is use Klass Kote epoxy paint infused with hexagonal boron nitride power along the lines of what the youtube German chap 'wiederladen' does. Essentially I mix about 5ml of each part for a total of 10ml per coat of a thousand projectiles (and about 1g of HBN powder). I drizzle the paint mix over the 1000 projectiles in a bucket or similar vessel and shake until evenly coated but before the paint starts to set and then tip out on a fine aluminum insect mesh stretched over MDF (about a 3x4 foot area). The paint is touch try in under a minute so the trick is to keep the projectiles moving over this 60 seconds. I use a small plastic tip from a silicone tube I had lying about. Then leave to sit for a few hours and do another coat. No need to stand the projectiles on their end etc such as for powder coating. Then I do another two coats. After the final coat I either leave to fully harden for a day or two or I scoop them up with a small shovel and put them on a tray in my toaster oven.

The result is great, my barrel is clean (STI). Really great as its relatively low labour for the number of projectiles coated. And low cost.

Sounds like you got a solid method worked out. I shoot somewhere between 30.000 and 40.000 a year, so for me doing a method that requires 3 coats just involves too much labor. I am familiar with the method developed by wiederlader tv. It looks fairly easy but again, 3 coats is too much hazzle for me. There is a dry tumble method in which you tumble the bullets dry, and then bake them... just one coat. I will see if I can make this work, and hopefully it will ad a maximum of 0.002 inches, meaning I won't have to size the bullets I use for training.

That's a whole bunch of shooting right there. Wiederladers method would take forever as he stacks his projectiles after each coat - I just tip them out and spread em apart. I do maybe 5000 at a time (in batches of 1000). Total actual working time is about 15 minutes per coat, so figure about 45 minutes per 5000 projectiles coated three times. If I get my mini-mixer going it would be even faster as I just spin them up in that, add paint and then tip out and spread, hey presto ;) The rest is drying time etc in which I do other tasks or reload etc.

Edited by ChrisRR

That's correct regarding the epoxy paint. If your in the USA it's readily available and it is here in NZ. The paint dries quickly so as you say it takes about an hour or two before applying the next coat but the important point is that applying the coat takes only minutes and the pot of mixed previously prepared paint will last a whole day if kept cool before setting. So you can mix enough for the entire 5000 projectiles with three coats without having to revisit that task. You can also use fan heaters to blow hot air over the projectiles which quarters the dry time. Also a mesh system with no board beneath allows one to blow hot air up and through the mesh and fully about the projectiles which speeds things further.

I am located in Denmark, which is why I asked about the Klass Kote. Pretty sure we do not have that here. But it seems I can use any quick drying epoxy paint. The speed in which it dries must depend upon the amount of hardener used. If the dry tumble method proves to be too time consuming or do not yield the desired results, I will try your method. Thank you for your help.... your bullets look very good, Chris.