Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax rib not machined parallel

Ryan N

A recent discovery that my VM is hitting to the right has had me looking closer at the barrel. Tonight I noticed that the top of the vent rib is not machined parallel with the top of the receiver. I suspect that it is at least 5 degrees off. Weird.

Here are a few photos that show a straight edge on the receiver flat and another on top of the vent rib.

I have been super happy with this shotgun and I suspect that Remington will make it right.

I plan to make a call to Remington tomorrow.

post-24626-0-02727900-1388374860_thumb.j

post-24626-0-84822700-1388375000_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

They claimed the receiver was out of spec and no matter what they did, would not shoot slugs POA/POI. Hence the new receiver. They did pull my trigger group, welded lifter, stock and put on the new receiver. Only thing new was the receiver so I lost my "opened up" loading port as well.

From what I have seen on here and in person, the vent rib is off on the majority of them. Some have issues with it, some don't. When someone told me about it I checked mine and sure enough it was off but my poa/ poi is great so I just left it. Mine isn't enough to affect aiming etc... but when I look hard I can see it is off ( vent rib not perfectly true to barrel )

They claimed the receiver was out of spec and no matter what they did, would not shoot slugs POA/POI. Hence the new receiver. They did pull my trigger group, welded lifter, stock and put on the new receiver. Only thing new was the receiver so I lost my "opened up" loading port as well.

I hope they don't have to replace my receiver because I opened up my loading port too. And I sure hope it doesn't take 4 weeks either.

From what I have seen on here and in person, the vent rib is off on the majority of them. Some have issues with it, some don't. When someone told me about it I checked mine and sure enough it was off but my poa/ poi is great so I just left it. Mine isn't enough to affect aiming etc... but when I look hard I can see it is off ( vent rib not perfectly true to barrel )

Since sending mine off, i have seen two other VM tacticals and both of them had vent ribs that were tilted. I also saw a VM field model and the top of its rib was perfectly perpendicular to the bore/receiver. So the problem seems to be on the tactical model but not the field model.

Being a machinist, I tend to be a little perfectionistic and I tend to notice things like this(eventually). I don't understand how the QC department of a large company like Remington allows this . . . especially on $1200 shotgun.

After 22 days, I got my VM back today. Good news is that they didn't replace my receiver, bad news is that they didn't replace my barrel. In all honesty I'm just glad to have it back. I plan to mill a dovetail and add a 10/22 rear sight. Loading my 1100 for the past two weeks really made me appreciate the VM. :)

They did include a target that they shot birdshot at with a full choke(left the choke in the gun). I guess this was their way of verifying POA/POI. I guess I should have specified slugs when I said it was hitting 5" to the right at 50 yards. :rolleyes: