Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Reliability: 9mm vs .38 Super

jkrispies

Daydreaming... Wouldn't mind having a 9mm single stack someday but always hear that 1911''s in 9mm are finicky. Don't tend to hear that about .38's and thinking that's due to the longer case length that's closer to .45acp. Forgetting all else (powerfactor, brass cost , etc.) just wondering from anybody who has owned both if using a downloaded Super would provide a more reliable firearm?

IMHO, what feed problems the 9mm 1911 has is due to the 9mm tapered case which tends to nosedive into the feed ramp. I believe the 9mm feeds a lot better if "loaded long" and fed through .38S magazines.

I use .38S magazines with standard 9mm rounds and it feeds about 99%. Once in a while I will get a nosedive on the first round coming out of a full magazine.

When I only load nine rounds into the ten round mags, feeding is basically 100%.

Edited by bountyhunter

Well, just be prepared for the "I've never had an issue" and the "stay away from 9mm" comments, because they are sure to come...

I believe my good fortune is because I reload my own ammo and also use good quality magazines (9mm).

Well, just be prepared for the "I've never had an issue" and the "stay away from 9mm" comments, because they are sure to come...

I'm in the middle. I've put maybe 50k rounds through my 9mm Trojan, it's a great gun. Only "reliability" issues are magazine feeding as stated above. The first round nosedives once in a while. One of the top magazine makers made a mag for SS 9mm whose shell had a patented "feed ramp" formed at the front of the shell to prevent nosedives? I remember thinking that was a smart idea. Edited by bountyhunter

I have a Smith & Wesson Pro Series in 9mm. I ended up having to reduce my OAL. They were getting a bit long (ran fine in my old M&P) I was having nosedive and FTF issues fairly regularly - noticed it happened less if I slingshot the slide backwards than letting it release from the slide stop.

I reduced to OAL to around 1.10 and I havent had the issue since. That was using 125gr Conicals. I have recently changed to 135gr Round Nose loaded to the same OAL and they run fine also.

The only real issues this gun has given me is when I stuff around with things and screw them up. eg - rounds too long - as above, let it get too dirty - occasionally FTE, or alter the centre leaf spring to lighten the trigger without applying more pressure to the left side disconnector spring - resulted in falling to half cock & generally ran poorly. (the benefit was I learnt how it operates a little better and have more confidence adjusting it)

If you don't fix things that aren't broken and your mags and ammo are set right it should run just fine. Mess around with internals, load your ammo incorrectly or use poor mags and like any gun you'll run into problems.

I have put around 6000 rounds through this gun now and aside from the issues I created it has ran just fine.

Edited by dane

Daydreaming... Wouldn't mind having a 9mm single stack someday but always hear that 1911''s in 9mm are finicky. Don't tend to hear that about .38's and thinking that's due to the longer case length that's closer to .45acp. Forgetting all else (powerfactor, brass cost , etc.) just wondering from anybody who has owned both if using a downloaded Super would provide a more reliable firearm?

I have owned both and shot them in competition fairly extensively.

I think it's pretty well established that the .38 Super cartridge is more inherently reliable in the 1911 platform, which is not particularly surprising considering that cartridge was designed specifically for the 1911! My Kimber .38 Super was extremely reliable, and I used it to take "Top Minor" at the Single Stack Classic one year.

I have since switched to 9mm 1911s (a custom Fusion build and a Les Baer) and they both work great also. I shot the Fusion gun in USPSA Single Stack Division throughout most of the 2012 season, including multiple sectionals and several area matches. I have had good luck with Wilson 10-round mags in my guns.

I have a Springfield 9mm stainless target, use Tripp 10 round 9mm mags. Only had one FTE in over 7,300+ rounds. Also had a stock Springfield 9mm barrel re-bored for 38 Super. Never had a problem shooting 38SC with Tripp mags. Never tried shooting super. My 9mm reloads have a 1.140 OAL. My 38SC reloads have a 1.222 OAL. Use 115gr or 124gr MG CMJ round nose bullets. Never hollow points. The Springfield is out of the box, other than a green fiber optic 0.125, trigger job, and VZ grips. I just installed a Dawson Precision 1911 Alum. gap magwell with flat mainspring housing, have not shot since. Only use this gun in 9mm for shooting IDPA which is seldom. Gun is very accurate in either caliber. From a bench at 25 yds. 1.1" or less 5 shot groups consistently. On a bench at 50 yds.1.5" or less 5 shot groups consistently. Gun was purchased 5 years ago.