Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber CUSTOM SHOP-REAL OR MARKETING HYPE?

Kimbertarget

"""" Im sure if you have a misses you know and since the 1911 is not a pair of shoes or jewelry im going to make sure its something that will last and she can enjoy competing with ;)"""

But if you get one that runs, its like a pair if shoes you can wear too!!!!! :surprise:

The new Dan Wesson pistols are beautiful and well made too. If you could find one to handle she'd notice immediately the difference. My wife sure does when we go to a Cabelas or elsewhere. The last Kimber that my wife wanted was a S.I.S. With the engraving and light-rail. It had a litany of problems along with a barrel so poorly fit that after 300 rounds the link broke and locked up the gun. Apparently the only thing holding the barrel in battery was the link. It's one of those things that unless you disassemble the gun before you buy it, you'll never know. I've never been to a gun store that would let you disassemble a $1000+ new gun so, we just bought it and found out the hard way. That's the one that went back and a different gun was returned.

Now, after buying her 3 different STI pistols and her having fondled and shot a number of Wilsons, Nighthawks, Baers, Dan Wessons and Springfields, she has an eye for true craftsmanship and functional beauty in a 1911. Right now she's in love with the Nighthawk "LadyHawk" in 9mm or the Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm. The Dan Wesson is a good bit cheaper but not what I'd call cheap...$1400-1600 depending where you look. Anyway, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Dan Wesson or STI right now. Probably from a purely cosmetic point of view I'd go with the DW. They have a very slightly nicer fit and finish than the mid-priced STI guns. Both are great though.

Have heard many great things about Dave Pruitt's work and if you've got the money, custom made for the wifey is exactly the way to go.

Good luck,

Cheers