Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Setback Issue

johnhhuber

I am fairly new to reloading and am having an issue with my ammo. I am loading 9mm with Rainier Bullets on a Dillon Square Deal B. I use mixed brass I collect and clean. I am having bullet setback issues (where I can push the bullet back into the case) on maybe 1 out of 100 rounds. Is this a problem with my reloader, the way it is set up, or me? I have searched this topic a few times but since my issue is not consistent, I wanted to start a new thread. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

The same thing happens to me on my 650 at about the same rate as you. I remove the bullet, pour the powder back into the hopper, pop the primer out to reuse and toss the brass in the trash.

Before you get t Po o excited be sure your sizing die is down far enough. Most people will set it so it kind of cams over a little bit. Die contacts shell plate before handle is fully pulled but not enough contact to prevent handle from making a full stroke. Also be sure you aren'tbelling too much. Simple things but effective.

I am fairly new to reloading and am having an issue with my ammo. I am loading 9mm with Rainier Bullets on a Dillon Square Deal B. I use mixed brass I collect and clean. I am having bullet setback issues (where I can push the bullet back into the case) on maybe 1 out of 100 rounds. Is this a problem with my reloader, the way it is set up, or me? I have searched this topic a few times but since my issue is not consistent, I wanted to start a new thread. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

The same thing happens to me on my 650 at about the same rate as you. I remove the bullet, pour the powder back into the hopper, pop the primer out to reuse and toss the brass in the trash.

sounds like you are checking every round for setback then? What a waste of time. Fix the problem with a Udie and you can keep everything and shoot it

Seems that my buddy Doug needs a little refresher on how the SDB is designed. The sizing die on the SDB is not threaded at all--it is a cylindrical die that simply slides down into the body of the press. The decapping stem secures it in place.

Yep.....I sit here corrected :blush: . Got my first SDB in 1989.....been awhile. Having said that you can still turn down a conventional die body and use it in the toolhead,...you just don't need to thread it......

I will correct my above post.....Thanks Mike!

DougC