Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open M&p ?

chanman

I am wanting to bulid an open m&P. I am thinking about just doing a .40 becuase its easier to load for major and I have alot of brass..

so I would need a ,

Comp

Threaded Bbl

Frame mount for c more slide ride

What springs do I need and which mag extensions?

Any tips/tricks on how to set it up , what to watch for or anything else needs to be upgraded..

I can get new m&p pistols for 399.00 so thats why im going with m&p.

Yea that is a super nice gun , but it would be a month or soo before I take on this project. Funds arent in place right now , if I had the cash id jump of that thing

I can wait. :D I already waited 3 months just to have a guy back out then not respond to PM's. But anyways, Taylor freelance mag extensions are the only way to go. As far as springs go i'm not sure what a .40 would need. I used a 11 and a 13 pound spring with 9 major. The 13 ran fine so I stuck with it. Oh and good luck with the SJC Cmore mount if you go that direction. That thing was a complete pain in the butt to install. Kinda makes you nervous to go cutting on a brand new gun.

Edited by DRobson

I built mine from a Pro in 9mm. I have the Carver comp combo with the KKM barrel. The trigger I have the Apex FSS. For sight I went with the Trijicon RMR. I first mounted it on a SpeedShooterSpecialty dovetail mount, but I just recently had my slide lightened and the top milled to mount the RMR directly.

I also have a thumb rest from thespeedledge that mounts on the front rail, but I dont think they make it anymore. Still looking at a magwell, but with the contour of the M&P mags I dont know if it would help at all.

Well I havent messed with a open centerfire yet , the main thing I cant make up my mind on is slide mount optic or frame. Like I said I havent messed with one but a frame mount optic just seems faster to aquire than a reciprocating slide optic. Or am I just missing something? Luckily a guy at my range is going to let me try his out with a delta point so I will see then.

Thanks for all the replies and links guys

Well I havent messed with a open centerfire yet , the main thing I cant make up my mind on is slide mount optic or frame. Like I said I havent messed with one but a frame mount optic just seems faster to aquire than a reciprocating slide optic. Or am I just missing something? Luckily a guy at my range is going to let me try his out with a delta point so I will see then.

Thanks for all the replies and links guys

It seems that the majority of competitors use frame mounted. I can't say whether it's "better" or not, it just seems thats the way the majority prefers. I like the idea of frame mounted because i'm of that mindset that moving parts should be lighter and non-moving parts heavier.

It wasnt until recently that there were optics able to handle the slide recoil. I first ran an inexpensive optic mounted on a frame-rail mount. It was too high for my tastes, which is most likely why you see many people mount the cmore on its side. I then picked up a dovetail mount to see if I liked having the mount on the slide. For me, it was much faster to pickup as it put the sight in the same plane as the rear sight. That led me to have my slide milled for the Trijicon RMR. Now, no matter which pistol i pick up, either the irons or optic are at the same aiming position. Note that I do not have a traditional 2011 open gun. Towards the end of this year, at my local clubs I am seeing from none to several open guns built on traditional production frames. Could be a trend, could be a fad. Both the RMR and DeltaPoint are warrantied to run fine mounted on the slide.

• 4 weeks later...