Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HVAC replacement questions

Replacing AC/forced air heat ( not a heat pump) 5.5 ton while remodeling in AZ. Any HVAC contractors/techs who can help me with deciding:

- best, meaning most reliable brand/model? Bids so far for Lennox, Trane, Rheem in that price order

- how high of a SEER rating it's worth paying for

- is it worth upgrading to two-stage compressor?, which I thinks means also higher SEER?

Don't mind paying more for quality as it's for long term (I hope) house, but don't want to overpay.

Anything I'm not asking or should know before deciding?

Any help, information and/or experiences appreciated.

Thanks, Will

I see you did not get responses to this. I install wet heat but have a little experience with air. My best advice on this is don't be too locked in to brands. I am familiar with Lennox and Trane. (American standard and Trane are the same if I recall)

SEER relates to efficiency. Depending on cost of electricity in your area, a higher SEER may have lower operating costs.

Not well versed enough in the difference between single two stage compressor other than 2 stage is also more efficient.

I think the most important thing and what I tell my customers is look at the manufacturer's warranty, the installers guaranty and the installers service after install.

I believe Trane has 5yrs parts check to make sure I am correct. A company installing Trane or any other should guaranty parts and labor for a year and parts for 5yrs. I have seen some that don't tell you about the 5yr parts from the manufacturer and try to sell contracts based on parts and labor.

Ask installing companies for references and check the references. Ask for a reference from at least 2 installed 3 years ago to make sure people are happy with the service.

Good luck

Well I replaced a similar system here in NJ a few years ago. Went with a Carrier Infinity high eff HVAC system with dual stage compressor and ECM blower. The ECM blower adds to the upfront cost but is well worth it as it gives you continuously variable output and draws very little electricity. We had a power outage for several days two years ago and I ran 200' of extension cord from a house across the stream and back-fed the furnace and one light through that 15amp circuit and never had it trip.

Take a look at Amana. Their best units have the highest efficiency ratings, 10 years parts except the compressor, which is lifetime. While getting above 13 SEER is not useful here in CO, in AZ, I would try to get to 16 SEER. Most in the range and tonage are going to have a 2-stage compressor. They are the only ones I would use going above 4 tons and they are what I chose when I built my house. In fact, I put in my own AC after my house was built because the builder could not get units I would accept. I used their furnace and evap coils but Amana condensing units.

While you currently have 5.5 tons, have your contractor run the manufacturer's calcs for YOUR house. Exposure, # of windows, as well as square feet, exposed walls, etc. are all questions you should be asked for the calcs to be done correctly. You may find that with a better unit, you can drop to 5 or even 4.5 tons. That will save you money upfront AND in operating costs. We have neighbors whose AC runs constantly, have much higher electric bills and have had to replace parts already while my Amana units just keep ticking along.

Some units, like Trane, have the spider fins. Heavy rain, hail, even the annual washing will flatten the little fingers which reduces efficiency and raises cost.

• 1 year later...