Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 Zev Extended Magazine Release vs. Glock's?

saibot

Are the ZEV aluminum mag releases production legal? I hate the plastic one on my G34 Gen 4

No they are not Production legal. The OEM Glock extended Gen 4 mag releases are legal.

I'll come out and ask....does Glock make an extended OEM mag release for the Gen 4? And yes I'll admit this is probably a stupid question. I thought that the only release that Glock made for the Gen 4's was what came as is in the gun.

I think all generations of the glock 34 and 35 have extended mag releases. If that isn't extended enough for you then you need to look to the aftermarket.

I really don't need it extended. I was just asking if Glock makes a factory extended mag release, longer then the one already

issued in the standard Gen 4.

I think all generations of the glock 34 and 35 have extended mag releases. If that isn't extended enough for you then you need to look to the aftermarket.

I really don't need it extended. I was just asking if Glock makes a factory extended mag release, longer then the one already

issued in the standard Gen 4.

Take a look at my post earlier in the thread where I have a picture comparing the Gen4 stock, the OEM extended, and the Zev. I think it'll show you what you want to know.

If you guys need a picture at a different angle let me know.

Glock makes the factory mag release for the Gen 4 models 20 and 21 large frame models which is slightly longer because of the bigger frame. It will work in the Gen 4 small frame models, but my understanding is that it is not production legal for the small frame models (17, 22, 34, 35) because it is not offered as an option from the factory on any of them. The longer factory mag release is offered on the previous Gen 3 34 and 35's, and is therefore legal for production on the 17 and 22. I think this is probably an Amidon question looking for a place to happen.

Glock makes the factory mag release for the Gen 4 models 20 and 21 large frame models which is slightly longer because of the bigger frame. It will work in the Gen 4 small frame models, but my understanding is that it is not production legal for the small frame models (17, 22, 34, 35) because it is not offered as an option from the factory on any of them. The longer factory mag release is offered on the previous Gen 3 34 and 35's, and is therefore legal for production on the 17 and 22. I think this is probably an Amidon question looking for a place to happen.

There was a pretty big discussion about this somewhere (can't remember or I'd post link) and it was determined to be Production legal. I'll search around and see if I can find it. But unless something changed, you're fine to use the OEM Glock Extended on your small frame in Production.

OK, here's a quick snip from the post that had some of the local guys batting this around (Chuck Anderson, Jason Snoddy, etc)

Short Version:

Since the part is a OFM part, and it's available from the factory on a production approved gun, AND the part dosent make the "foot print" any larger, only the length, it's GTG.

Longer Version:

Reguarding the "FBI" magazine release:21.6 "Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.
The Vanek trigger, much like the Speed Bump trigger, has an external modification that makes it illegal for Production division. The Speed Bump trigger has the travel screw mounted to the rear of the trigger and is visible externally, the Vanek trigger, has relocated the pivot pin about 3/16” above the factory specs, and has filled in the original hole with a black material that is still visible on inspection.
Special Notes/Clarifications:
•Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.
•A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.
•Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OFM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

Thanks. I was somewhat aware of the previous discussion involving Chuck, but I seem to recall an Amidon answer somewhere (perhaps not here) that seem to call into question the offered on small frame vs. offered only on large frame question. That wasn't an issue with the Gen 3's because it was offered on the 34 and 35 from the factory. The snippet seems to answer that because the Gen 4 20 large frame is on the approved production list. I have the part sitting in my parts box, but decided the marginal increase in length wasn't worth the effort.

I'll come out and ask....does Glock make an extended OEM mag release for the Gen 4? And yes I'll admit this is probably a stupid question. I thought that the only release that Glock made for the Gen 4's was what came as is in the gun.

Yes, part number 8794, "Magazine Catch Reversible Extended +0.75, fits Gen4 (9mm, .357, and .40)". You can buy it from Glockmeister (http://www.glockmeister.com/Magazine-Catch-Parts/products/93/ )

Not a stupid question at all.

If you want to have a copy of the current Armorer's price list, go to this link ( http://us.glock.com/customer-service/downloadable-materials ) and download "Parts Order Form (Certified Armorers).

Chris

Edited by cohland