Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go Guns *thumb rest [generic]*

R1valdez

I use the GoGun thumb rest on all my Open and limited guns. I happened to speak to Dr. Chet the founder of GoGun this week and I asked this very question as the descriptions on the available web sites are insufficient.

The Duster has an aluminum strip at its base (positioned under the mounting screw holes) that runs the width of the GoGun. It adds .08" of depth to the thumb rest giving it greater spacing from the frame/slide. The duster was designed primarily for limited guns that might need the additional clearance. That is the only difference. It used to also have a slightly smaller thumb pedal but that has been discontinued from the current models, as all the pedals are now the same size.

Hope this helps.

I use the GoGun thumb rest on all my Open and limited guns. I happened to speak to Dr. Chet the founder of GoGun this week and I asked this very question as the descriptions on the available web sites are insufficient.

The Duster has an aluminum strip at its base (positioned under the mounting screw holes) that runs the width of the GoGun. It adds .08" of depth to the thumb rest giving it greater spacing from the frame/slide. The duster was designed primarily for limited guns that might need the additional clearance. That is the only difference. It used to also have a slightly smaller thumb pedal but that has been discontinued from the current models, as all the pedals are now the same size.

Hope this helps.

Good info but it still does not answer the question of what is the difference among the various duster models. It looks like there are three versions.

Hope this helps.

Good info but it still does not answer the question of what is the difference among the various duster models. It looks like there are three versions.

Sarge.....To my understanding after speaking with Dr. Chet there are 3 models in total, which have various sub groups within that model, which are:

ORIGINAL - this is the version with 5 pre-drilled mounting holes - within this model group are different colors, finishes, etc.. My understanding is that due to its size requires removal for field stripping as it blocks removal of slide stop therefore not recommended for 1911/2011.

RACER - This is the version with 4 mounting holes which have the same base thickness as does the original. Again with the same variations as mentioned for the Original - This was designed primarily for Open guns(perhaps the derivation of its RACER name), or guns where clearance was not an issue, where the thumb rest was being mounted to an optic mount rather than directly to frame where no additional clearance was required.

DUSTER - The version of the Racer that has the added depth of .08" for clearance. Designed for direct mounting to frame/DUST COVER, hence the name Duster. I have seen them referred to as Racer Duster Models or just Dusters. Have never come across an ORIGINAL DUSTER.

That's it I'm out of info. I've managed to regurgitate more than I thought I ever knew or could make up regarding this. :) I would have inserted one of those cute little yellow smiley faces but don't know where they hide them. :-) just saw my post come up with that yellow little guy. I must have accidentally found the hidden source :) :)

Edited by SMS2

Here's the email I got explaining the difference between the 2.

Denver,

The regular Duster Racer Cut is for standard STI frame which is .830 inches wide. The Duster Xtrade wide is for STI heavy wide frame which is .920. If you are not sure take a calipers and measure. The Regular will also fit the extra wide but not vice versa. If you want the extra wide, order it from Shooters Connection TODAY. They are only ones who have the Xtra wide in stock and are discontinuing it shortly, although we expect them to ship their inventory back to us and we should have them in a week or two. The main difference is Xtra wide has less base offset to accommodate wider frame. You can use the regular on extra wide but may want to mill off 30 to 40 thousandths for maximum performance.

Best,

Dr. Chet

• 3 weeks later...