Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Collector, hoarder or a little of both?

.... Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. .....

If you want a faster way to case-gauge ammo, have you seen this?

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/100-Hole-9mm-Chamber-Checker-Cartridge-Case-Gauge-p/cg9-100.htm

Yes, there is a 100-case Chamber Checker from EGW. But the one from Ben Stoeger fits cartridge boxes....so cartridge handling is cut dramatically.

This is fairly close to World Peace, in my admittedly limited view.

Chris

I think if your doing some high output, it might make sense. But it's a $100 each. If he can sell some volume, if he can drive the price down, I'd think about it. I'd like to see all of the other comments.

Dog

I think the wet tumbler is a must have. But buy a good one, there's plenty of great threads on tumblers on the BE forum. You'll hate a cheap tumbler. And don't forget, the stainless tumbling media will be roughly 20% of the cost of your new machine. Again, I don't want to hi jack my thread, but a tumbler cleans primer pockets and I love it. For that reason, I'm in.

Dog

I think the wet tumbler is a must have. But buy a good one, there's plenty of great threads on tumblers on the BE forum. You'll hate a cheap tumbler. And don't forget, the stainless tumbling media will be roughly 20% of the cost of your new machine. Again, I don't want to hi jack my thread, but a tumbler cleans primer pockets and I love it. For that reason, I'm in.

Dog

Having loaded over 100K without a wet tumbler, to me, it's not needed and adds more steps to the reloading process. It does make pretty brass though, if that does it for you.

Does anyone make these (the 100 rounder) for 45 acp?

.... Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. .....

If you want a faster way to case-gauge ammo, have you seen this?

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/100-Hole-9mm-Chamber-Checker-Cartridge-Case-Gauge-p/cg9-100.htm

Yes, there is a 100-case Chamber Checker from EGW. But the one from Ben Stoeger fits cartridge boxes....so cartridge handling is cut dramatically.

This is fairly close to World Peace, in my admittedly limited view.

Chris

Don't collect or hoard. Not sure why someone would get into collecting reloading equipment. Each to their own but if I was going to collect something, it would be guns.

I have a 650 for large volume for .45 and .40.

I have a 550 for small volume for .38 spl and .223.

And as I said above, one type primer and two powders.

I thought I was well stocked with store bought ammo and held a minimum 1K rounds in each pistol caliber and 556/.223, 10K of .22LR and 200 .308. I was wrong....very very wrong.

I stopped shooting pistol early 2013 and eventually stopped shooting everything for a couple of months last summer because I knew I could run through everything in short order since it couldn't be replaced at the time. Pretty standard response to an ammo shortage.

I slowly built back my store bought ammo by paying for shipping and overpaying per round(1K 9mm @ $.38,1K .556 lakecity greentip @ $.75) from online sources while continuing to refrain from shooting. I refused to give any reseller/price gougers my money since they are a HUGE contributer to the problem. These were from established bulk ammo dealers but I was desperate.

So, I'm a reloader now and I will be collecting components as my finances and availability allow. Now I can shoot my 2 favorite calibers and not worry about depleting my pistol ammo on hand. A huge bonus is that I actually enjoy the process of reloading. I intend to stockpile primers, powder, brass and bullets in that order. I'm sure most reloaders already do this to some extent. I'll also be adding .357, .38 special, .223 and .308 to the loading bench over time so that will mean the collection of different primers and powders.

I don't know the difference between having a reasonable backstock of components and what would be considered hoarding. Is 100K of SPP hoarding? 500K? I don't know. What I do know is that I'd be buying one lb of powder and 1K primers per week from here on out if it were on the shelves.

Another shortage is guaranteed to happen.

I ordered a wet tumbler tonight.
I totally don't need a wet tumbler.

Now there's a purchase I could justify under any circumstances to me or, uh, my wife. "Ain't that bowl with that ground up stuff up enof". Well, no, it doesn't clean up the primer pockets up like a tumbler does, this is needed for additional polishing". You do need that wet tumbler. Congrats on a smart purchase. Just make sure those steel pins are not stuck in the flash holes when you get them all finished and purrty.

Dog

Got my tumbler Monday and I'm currently processing a fair amount of 9mm. The wet tumbling takes a lot longer and it's more involved but holy moly do I have shiny brass.

I'm going to run all of my already dry tumbled brass through the wet tumbler now because I really....REALLY like the sparkley sparkle.

I ordered a wet tumbler tonight.

I totally don't need a wet tumbler.

:roflol:

I haven't ordered anything from amazon in a day or two... I better get on it...

It's surprising how much I order off of Amazon since I'm all about supporting local businesses. I was thinking about Amazon prime just this morning. Over the hundreds of packages I've received from them this year, all shipped 2nd day air and not one has ever been packaged with the wrong product, wrong amount or even had any damage. I know sample size but it's still pretty amazing considering there are humans processing the packaging.

Definitely a hoarder. I've got the Mac Daddy 550 set up. 550B with the strong mount, roller handle, and bullet tray. I have so far only ever loaded .40 but in the closet I have five brand-new powder measures, five tool heads, and five powder dies. This is on top of the .40 set up that lives on my press. I also have dies in 9mm, .380, .45, .38, .308, and assorted rifle dies I'll never use. I'm also hoarding about 400 pounds of polished brass in assorted calibers that I'll probably never load. This includes the 150 lbs of .40 brass that I keep on hand. I'm out of bullets.

Sir, you don't just have some Dillon equipment, you have what is called in the securities world a "long position" in extra stuff. You should be featured in the next Blue Press.

Well, I am not a hoarder of loading equipment, I definitely use just about everything I have and since I run a small ammo manufacturing company it's a lot.

However,

I cannot resist hording pyrotechnic tooling, supplies and chemicals. I have all sorts of rocket tooling to make up to 10 pounders, solid maple case rollers to make up to 8" shells, sifting screens from 10 to 100 mesh size, all sorts of rammers up to 2" to make fountains and such. I can't pass up good solid tubes, plugs, cardboard disks or endcaps of any type. Exotic chemicals I am likely never going to use like lampblack and nitrocellulose laquer.... but ya never know so I buy it just in case..

Just about every oxidizer and fuel know to man including aluminum, steel and titanium in assorted mesh sizes or stamped flakes.

It's a bad addiction...really bad.

This post is disqualified. He's in the business :)

1050 (9mm), 650 (6 heads, 30-06, 308, 45 ACP, 40, 223, can remember the other), (3) Star progressive reloaders, one set up for large caliber pistol (45LC, 45 ACP, 44, 41) one for 38/357 and one in 38 super & .380, Rock Chucker with dies from 218 bee to 458 tons in between, Lee Single stage press, Lee Turret, Lee Pro 1000, Mec 76 Series Grabber Hydurlic 12GA, Mec 9000H 12GA, Mec 9000 in 20GA, Mec 600 28GA & 410GA, Lee Load All 12GA & 20GA. There may be more, not going to search now. Various case trimming and primer swaging tools, hand primers, (2) Vibra Prime automatic primer tube filler in Large and small , 2 tumbers.

Sold the Camdex that was in 38, that was nice machine 3800 rounds an hour. I grew up on a shooting range, Dad left me all this. Miss him dearly.

This is clearly a collection. This gentlemen certainly is using his inventory, but also many of the items have sentimental value. My dad was a WWII infantry vet and taught me how to shoot, I understand those memories, it's the great memories that make our lives so much richer.

Good thread. I think the vast majority of us have stuff we don't NEED. I have only averaged shooting about 7k rounds a year for the last 3-4 years. And I only reload 9mm, 95% of which is MAJOR. Basically I never change anything on the press. I load on a 650 with case and bullet feeders and on a good day could load everything I will shoot all year. :roflol: So I pace myself and just go to the reloading room when I get bored and crank out 500 rounds or so. Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. The truth is I could literally load what I NEED on a Rockchucker.

As for components, I have enough powder and primers to shoot at my current pace for 5+ years. Bullets for about 2 years. I guess that's technically hoarding but I only do it because I know what it's probably going to cost me to replace it all in 5 years, or 10. If I had the money and a safe place to keep it I would buy enough components to last me 15 years. By then I would be getting old and would probably be slowing way down.

Sarge, I think you represent a large group of us here. I think we'd all be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who buys just enough stuff to maintain parity with their shooting. You don't sound like a collector or hoarder. You are simply staying ahead of your needs and maintain a nice back up inventory.

Good thread. I think the vast majority of us have stuff we don't NEED. I have only averaged shooting about 7k rounds a year for the last 3-4 years. And I only reload 9mm, 95% of which is MAJOR. Basically I never change anything on the press. I load on a 650 with case and bullet feeders and on a good day could load everything I will shoot all year. :roflol: So I pace myself and just go to the reloading room when I get bored and crank out 500 rounds or so. Funny part is, I am still looking for a faster way to case gauge my ammo when in reality I could gauge 100 or so a WEEK and almost do all of my yearly needs. The truth is I could literally load what I NEED on a Rockchucker.

As for components, I have enough powder and primers to shoot at my current pace for 5+ years. Bullets for about 2 years. I guess that's technically hoarding but I only do it because I know what it's probably going to cost me to replace it all in 5 years, or 10. If I had the money and a safe place to keep it I would buy enough components to last me 15 years. By then I would be getting old and would probably be slowing way down.

Sarge, I think you represent a large group of us here. I think we'd all be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who buys just enough stuff to maintain parity with their shooting. You don't sound like a collector or hoarder. You are simply staying ahead of your needs and maintain a nice back up inventory.

Mastiff, the next time my wife and I get into it about...supplies... I'm gonna quote you :)