Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to long range steel matches and looking for tips

jacketjoed

So, I shot my first long range steel match recently and needless to say, I didnt do as well as I hoped I would. I had lots of misses and the whole thing was kinda frustrating cause I know I can make the shots I was missing. The match was a spur of the moment thing and with no experience with this kind of stuff it was very overwhelming. The targets started at 300 and went out to a 1000 with most between 4-8 and were of varying sizes. I usually dial dope but with the time factor I figured that hold over would be faster and I'm pretty sure that was a mistake and accounted for a lot of my misses, but I still think that dialing would be slow. The Course was 1.25 miles long with 5 firing points that had 5 targets per station that had to be engaged twice each and there was a 45 min time cap. It was a blind course of fire, so for each station you would have run to it setup, locate and range all the targets then engage then move and start all over again. I'm shooting a 300 win. with a Leupold ERT 6.5-20 with the TMR reticule. Im looking for some hints, tips and any wisdom in this area that might help make things a little easier and maybe do a little better next time.

Dial for elevation, hold for wind.

Start with the easiest target first. This might not necessarily be the closest target.

Get as straight as you can behind the gun so you can see the hit/miss. This will help you adjust your wind call for the next target.