Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What else to do on an action job?

waterboy

Hey everyone,

I have decided to dedicate this winter and all next year on revolver division. I have a 610 and a 627 that I have installed a Bang Inc spring kit in, as well as polished the internals after watching Jerry's DVD. The 610 also has an Apex hammer in it. I haven't touched the strain screws yet. Is this the only thing left to lighten the trigger pull even more? Right now both are breaking between 7-8 pounds. I would like to get them down to around 6 pounds. Should I also install extended firing pins? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey everyone,

I have decided to dedicate this winter and all next year on revolver division. I have a 610 and a 627 that I have installed a Bang Inc spring kit in, as well as polished the internals after watching Jerry's DVD. The 610 also has an Apex hammer in it. I haven't touched the strain screws yet. Is this the only thing left to lighten the trigger pull even more? Right now both are breaking between 7-8 pounds. I would like to get them down to around 6 pounds. Should I also install extended firing pins? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I'm not sure there is a big benefit to trigger pulls less than 7 lbs. I was running at 6 for a while and ended up putting a half pound back on.

That said, with your Bang main spring you can trim 2 coils off an 11 pound Wolff recoil spring it will run at 6 lbs with an extended firing pin. I don't know what rebound spring ships with the bang kit, I recontour factory main springs. You could trim 2 coils off the one you have and see what it gets you. You need to balance the 2 springs. The hammer has to pop the primer, but the rebound spring needs to lift the hammer as the trigger resets. It is better to shorten the strain screw to set the hammer weight, but a lot of guys get by with Loctite on the strain screw. I don't have a preference on extended fitting pins.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Tom

IMHO, extended firing pins gain nothing assuming the stock firing pin is the correct length (which I think is .495). SW put out some "stubbies" that were too short for a while.

I have done many action jobs and used to buy the Wolff reduced power ribbed mainsprings as I found they would give the same ignition force with about 1/2 pound less DA pull force required. YMMV. Later on, I got tired of buying them and just use the stock SW mainspring and put a little bend in it.

You can use the strain screw to back off spring force as long as you use some blue loctite on it. I typically adjust my mainspring force so theres about 10% more hit than necessary to get good DA ignition with the strain screw 1/4 turn out so that leaves me a shade extra if I run into some stubborn primers.

I also agree going from 7# down to 6# isn't really gong to make a whole lot of difference, it's the smoothness of the pull that really makes it an easy trigger to shoot.

Edited by bountyhunter

I had one of my K frame PPC guns back to a tad under 5# and just couldn't get a rhythm , wound it up to a about 7# and found the mojo that I was looking for. The trigger feedback through the pull and rebound was far more balanced, settled on an 11lb rebound with a coil and a half clipped and a Power-rib RP mainspring.

Thanks all for your feedback. Both actions are pretty smooth, just thought a little lighter pull might help. After doing some dry fire last night and getting use to the double action trigger again, I don't think I will mess with them anymore. I can get into a pretty good rhythm after a couple of minutes. Now to get those reloads a little faster :goof:

Thanks again,

Tom