Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing

hello everyone, i am new to this forum and also new to shooting a pistol

i just have a couple of questions, a friend told me that it wasnt good to dry fire a gun,

ive read about it on here alot and noticed most everybody seems to be doing it, is there something special i should be doing or just go ahead and do it

i have a 40 S&W, model 4046 if that helps

Thanks

Horsehockey. ;) I think that myth got started with .22 rimfires - on which is *is* possible to ding the chambers. Not so for centerfire handguns.

I've dry fired my S&W gen III about 1.7532134 gazillion times to no ill effect. So has everybody else here. Even if it did wear out your gun (it doesn't) it's the only way you're going to get better w/o spending $2000 a month on ammo. If you break your gun (you won't) S&W has a lifetime warranty and will fix it for free. :)

So, no worries.

Eric is right - this is an issue primarily with 22s. Some of the older (not that old actually) can have the firing pin hitting steel in the chamber, which will cause a problem eventually (been there, seen it, dealt with it). My Ruger MK II, Walther P22, Kimber conversion, and Ruger 10/22 have no such design problems.

Also, some of the real old revolvers (where the hammer actually hit the primer) didn't like dry firing. The hammer slamming on the frame caused problems. Besides being unsafe, these guns are generally a POS anyway (I don't want a gun that I have to carry an empty chamber or risk shooting my leg off if I bump a table).

Modern artillery should not have ANY problem with dry fire (Ask Steve Anderson!)

• 5 months later...
hello everyone, i am new to this forum and also new to shooting a pistol

i just have a couple of questions, a friend told me that it wasnt good to dry fire a gun,

ive read about it on here alot and noticed most everybody seems to be doing it, is there something special i should be doing or just go ahead and do it

i have a 40 S&W, model 4046 if that helps

Thanks

some guns yes some no. Kimber dry fire your heart out, Taurus a few dry's and you have a nice x-mass tree decoration :wacko: