Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Small Base 223 Rem Dies

Flatland Shooter

In 2014 I plan on shooting some 3 gun matches that go out past 200 yards. I decided to do it right and load my own long range rounds with Nosler 77 gr Custom Competition bullets and LC brass.

I received the dies this morning and happened to glance at the sellers website and see that along with the "plain Jane" small base dies I purchased, they also offer RCBS AR Series Small Base with Taper Crimp 223 dies.

I spent considerable time on the forum and found that Dillon 223 dies are way out there on delivery so many use the RCBS Small Base die. I did not see it specified in those posts which RCBS SB dies were used.

For crimp, I planned on using a separate die so purchased a Lee Factory Crimp die. I will be using a Dillon 550.

So, did I buy the wrong set. Should I send it back along with the Lee FCD and get the AR Series with Taper Crimp?

Thanks.

Bill

I have the same setup you have and it works awesome. I don't particularly care for the dual purpose seat/ roll crimp die. For me if I didn't have the bullet seated completely straight , it would cant and fall inside the case. I switched to a dillon seat and crimp die, and no longer have that issue.

My friend purchased the rcbs AR dies and there really isn't any difference. Hope it helps