Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super headspace question

67camaro

I have a 2011 I just picked up chambered in 38 super and I'm curious what you guys think about this case to barrel hood fit. The only other auto pistol I have to compare it to is a stock XD 45 and the cartridge on that is flush with the barrel hood. This case is going deeper past the hood by maybe .020 or less. I am using new brass which is under saami .900, but not by much maybe .895 is the shortest. Is there a chance there may be a headspace issue or am I just being anal?

post-40651-0-45341700-1385612567_thumb.j

Edited by 67camaro

First, that is about the smallest "head space" I have seen with just a case dropped in the barrel. That is no problem at all. If your .45 has even less head space than that, you actually might have to watch for cases that are too long (totally unheard of by any gun or case I have ever owned).

Any case within 0.005" of max case length will produce about the best accuracy possible (we aren't shooting bench rest rifles here). Most 9x19 cases are much shorter and I have actually gone through and separated out the longer ones for when I need the best accuracy.