Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xtreme 55gr FMJ - experiences and loads vs Hornady FMJ?

rtp

I think I saw alaskapopo mention better results with Hornady 55gr, while a few others said Xtremes are good to go.

I'll likely pick up a 6k case of Hornady 55gr FMJ after the new year, but the current Xtreme 'discount' of 15% off makes them pretty much hard to beat on price until I pick up a case of 6k, at 8.5c/rd shipped.

For those of you that have loaded them, are they more or less Hornady FMJ clones in shape/ogive/loads, or were your best loads for them significantly different than for Hornady bulk FMJ? (or of course - were you not able to develop a decent load with them/hate 'em, etc.?)

Typical usage - 3 gun, carbine classes, plinking, general range use.

For Hornady 55gr FMJ, running 24.5gr of TAC in a 1:9 barrel...

Just an FYI - order showed up from Xtreme very quickly, and well packaged, with a tightly fitting thick cardboard box inside the Medium Flat rate box, with some built in 'cushioning' at the box ends, pull inner box out, and it folds out nicely.

A quick visual and partial measuring comparison shows the Xtreme 55gr FMJs are a near-clone of the Hornady but not 100%. The Xtremes are ever so slightly longer (.740" vs .735" Hornady), and visually, a slightly fatter/wider ogive on the upper half of the projectile. Cannelure in overlapping positions. Haven't loaded any up yet, but am expecting them to seat just slightly deeper for a slightly shorter OAL w/out touching my current seating die setup (set up for Hornadies).

Will post back once I load, shoot, chrono some.

Where are you getting the Hornady for 8.5/rd?

Mid South Shooters Supply has case lots of 6000, for 457.15, plus shipping. Comes out less than .085 a round.

That said, in smaller quantities and when Hornady's aren't available, the Xtreme bullets are a good deal. Better at the Black Friday discount.

Where are you getting the Hornady for 8.5/rd?

Whenever a special on buying 6k in bulk comes up. Lately it's been up and down, but PSA had a recent deal on them for $500 + ~30 shipping, (8.8c/rd), sometimes you can combine with a discount code.

Grafs and some others sometimes come in below that as well, just need to poke around. Right now Midsouth has them $460, shipping/insurance for me is $20, 20 $480/6k = 8c/rd

Just as a heads up, today xtreme has 17% off, free ship, meaning their 55gr FMJ are right at 8.3c/each. use code '17special' at checkout..

I bought another 1k even as I haven't load or shot any yet, should at the very least be good for blasting and shorter range 3 gun..(if not more)

Edited by rtp