Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super load suggestion

urnsrus

Well, while I am in here and tinkering with my loads on a rainy weekend, any updated suggestions on loads using my STI Open, with 3 port comp? Currently have tons of VV N350 and MG 125 JHP so would like to stay with that as they have been successful.

I have been loading about 8.3 gr of VV however that may be a bit hot however I have not had any problems and no primer flow. OAL is running at 1.235.

Almost the exact load that I was running, 8.2 gr of VV N350 under a MG 124 JHP. I was making 185 PF so I backed it down in small increments and settled at 7.8 gr making 175 PF, the accuracy hasn't degraded and the gun still shoots very flat. Hey I get a few more loads from a keg of powder! OAL is same as yours at 1.235.

Any of the Viht powders mentioned can work out fine for Major in a 38 super, I've used them all. Present load is 9.xx gr of 3n38 with MG CMJ 124s and CCI primers. In general, in pseudo-burn-rate order fastest to slowest (just my opinion):

N350 - works the comp great, famous for overtaxing cases at the old 175 power factor, primers falling out of loaded rounds

3n37 - leaves the fired cases and your gun very clean but heats up the gun a LOT. great powder for 9x19 Major

3n38 - great overall balance of comp effectiveness, not overfilling the case, not too hot, rarely shows pressure signs

N105 - will not show pressure signs; fills to the top of your cases, God-awful loud may induce heart attack in the elderly

My only problem is that I have about 12 lbs of N350. Anybody want to trade? :-) Sounds like the 3N38 is the preferred. Use to shoot 3N37 but stopped and can't remember why now.....old age and hard of hearing. Maybe it was the N105

For 38 super with 5" barrel of the VV powders:

N105 - Will produce the lowest peak and highest muzzle pressures, works great with a comp but you will fill the case up.

3N38 - Would be my next choice still fills the case up a bit.

3N37 - I would put in the middle

N350 - About the same as 3N37 just gives a bit higher peak pressure.

N340 - A bit too fast for 38 super, high peak pressures.