Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How important is Case length?

Raydee38

I am reloading for a 223 bolt action and I am trying to trim my cases to 1.75" but the problem is 75% of my cases are under 1.75" even after the second firing. How important is it to have all the cases the same length? I am thinking as long as the bullet seating depth is the same then the case length will not be a big deal as long as they are not to long?

I would shoot for consistency. Just try to make them all the same. That being said if you are shooting a LC case that is 1.750 and a Remington 223 case that is 1.745 the fact that you are shooting mixed brass with different case capacities will hurt you worse than one case being a tad shorter than the other.

Do the best you can but I wouldn't stress too much...

This is the tool to determine what your trim length is

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

In the world of Benchrest every .001 of every component matters, in the world of Precision Rifle Matches and bolt action shooting I am not convinced that I can shoot the difference between .010 in trim lenghs, blasters like AR15's it don't matter all, my advice is to use the chamber length plug to determine what your chamber length is, trim your brass back .010 for that, it may take a couple of firings to get there.

Neck tension matters at longer distances. I shoot an AR-15 in service rifle competition. At 200 yards most any ammo is fine. At 600 everything matters more. 600 yard loads are made with brass from the same lot of ammo and trimmed to same length. 77 grain bullets are weighed and selected to all weight within .5 grains (not hard to do with Matchkings).

Bolt guns are a different animal but neck tension will affect group size. Neck length has some effect on bullet pull.

Nominally shorter brass isn't likely to be dangerous to the shooter. Consistency is what matters in the quest for accuracy.

I trim to 1.750 never had any issues. Seperate cases by headstamp, length, neck wall thickness with ball mic, and weight if you are going for extreme accuracy. As others have said at 200 it doesnt matter much at 600 everything matters! Short brass may or may not matter just try shooting short brass at one target and regular at another target at 500 yards with all other things being equal and you will know!