Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holster requirement

coldchar

I have a holster I use extensively for backcountry use. I really like it for all around versatility , it covers most of the trigger guard, but a small portion of the guard behind the trigger is exposed. The trigger is not visible. Icore rules require all the trigger guard be covered which would exclude this holster. How strictly is this interpreted?

Jim G

Don't know about ICORE rule interpretation, but be sure to look for some reference to the ability of the gun to operate (or not) while in the holster. A strap over the hammer keeps the gun from operating while holstered. That's generally the spirit of the rule and generally the letter unless its written very strictly.

2 different issues. Any device used to retain the firearm must be employed at the start signal. I.E. if you use a safety strap so the pistol doesn't fall out of the holster, you need to have it snapped. Most Race Holsters have locks, non race holsters are more of the older pouch design and most don't need any straps.

The issue of covering the trigger guard is to keep the finger off the trigger as long as possible during a draw. That is why the rule states the Trigger Guard must be covered. As long as you can't access the trigger, but a small portion of the rear of the guard is visible you are ok. I wouldn't recommend using a holster that only covers say half of the trigger guard and yet you still can't access the trigger.