Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Untested loads

Skydiver

I moved from the cold Northwest to the much warmer climes of Virginia. I suddenly got a kitchen pass to go to a L-II match in Maryland. I had no more Montana Gold Bullets left, but had just enough Rainiers laying around to shoot the match with a 15% re-shoot buffer. Since I'm not a member of a local range yet, and didn't have time to chrono, I just looked up my past chrono values for the Rainier based on Northwest weather and factored in that my powder is inversely temperature sensitive and gave myself an extra 0.1 grain of margin.

Gun was jam-o-matic during the match. I thought it was just worn out springs, so I swapped in a fresh spring. I was there to get a break and have fun, not to win, so I wasn't really sweating all the lost points and time.

I think I ended up winning the chrono stage with 185 PF.

Swapped in a heavier spring after chrono.

Next time: Take time to chrono and test the load before a major match.

I was getting double feeds. Same crimp and profile that has successfully run and other matches. Although I checked mag lips widths before the match, I also tried swapping mags as well with the same results.

I've shot with this set of bullets before with my old load data and didn't have any problems. My tests with my chrono had me at 169PF with a SD of +/- 2PF. The Level II chronos had it at 173PF. Since it was inversely temperature sensitive and would drop me about 7 PF with about a 10 degree warmer temperature, I was just guessing at the extra .1 grain without testing. (At that time I simulated the warmer temp, by putting bullets in a thermos with warm water for 20 minutes right before shooting over the chrono.)

As I mentioned, I've shot and tested with this bullet before, just not with the extra powder and warmer temps, so the profile and OAL are the same. The variables left in my view were:

1) Extra powder

2) Worn out springs that I was scheduled to replace for the next season

3) Limp wristing because of lack of trigger time

4) Range temp -- turned out to be a cold day at the range and I didn't need to make the powder adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...