Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Skip Chambers" is back

TheBrick

I Won the 2011 PA State IDPA revo ESR DC and the 2013 Fl State USPSA revolver overall match. I went to the Revo Nationals and bombed out because "Skip" paid me a visit and wouldn't leave after the first 2 stages.

Reworked the gun, cylinder, stop ramps, cyl. stop, etc. and all was well for about 5 thousands rounds. "Skip came back for another visit.

Reworked everything again and all was well until today"s local match. Again after about 5 k rounds, "Skip" paid yet another visit.

Does everyone who shoots a 625 revo have this problem every 5 thousand or so rounds.

I have, on occasion, been able to turn out .17 splits on close targets but I know there are far better out there than me.

Is this normal? Is this just a fact of life in shooting a 625 with a major load? Will lighter bullets help?

This is frustrating my attempt at being a dedicated revo shooter. I really don't believe that I should pack a spare fitted cylinder every time I go to a match just to avoid "Skip."

Any ideas, thought, comments or suggestions are welcome before I go back to becoming a bottom feeder.

Peter

Some people have the problem arise much sooner than others. I believe some people have rough handling or excessive dry-fire habits that exacerbate the problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the load you're shooting--it's all about how many times and how hard the cylinder stop slams into place. And sooner or later it happens to them all. The metallurgy on the stainless cylinders sucks dong.

The Ti cylinder is one solution to the problem. I like the carbon steel cylinders from 25-2s even better.

Not much else you can do, other than constantly try to keep up with the problem and periodically dress the notches and replace the stops and springs.

What Carmoney said.

If I had not come up with the Ti cylinders I was going to switch to the blue 25-2's and have them hard chromed as my next effort to solve the problem.

I also carry a matching spare gun to big matches; because there are some things you can't fix with a replacement part, even if you had one.

You have to replace parts on a race car when the performance drops off so why do you expect a race GUN to last forever. I consider it a positive you have it so well defined. Why not just do the procedure every 4.5K rounds much like mag springs on Open / Limited guns? Simply the price of competition to me. Now go shoot snot out of it.