Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new Rush album

ErikW

I didn't think I'd ever have to say this, but I think after 23 years their musical direction had taken a turn I don't like....(actually, I don't think it, I KNOW IT...)

My guess is they want to build some cash for retirement, so they're trying to make songs to get on pop radio....

The show autta be good, though....three hours of mostly old stuff.....

No keyboards on the album, just guitar tracks layered in a big way. And, unfortunately, layered vocal tracks.

BrianH, I've been a fan for 20 years and I've disliked every new album from Grace Under Pressure (1984?) through Counterparts (94?). They all just grew on me, except Counterparts. I liked Test for Echo and the new one from the first listen.

They have some awesome riffs and hooks but they don't seem to put it all together in a perfect song like they've done so many times in the past. I can't get into most of the lyrics on this one. But pop radio? No way. Radio hasn't played anything from them since G.U.P. (Not even radio-friendly songs like Half the World.) Everybody wants them to record 2113 or Moving Pictures II... ain't gonna happen.

Actually, I changed my opinion.  I think it's the producers fault.....I don't know who it is; I lost track a long time ago....

Is there a guitar solo anywhere?  I've listened to the album twice now and haven't heard one.....nor a cool drum fill.  This just doesn't sound like Rush to me.....

I compare this to probably the last song I thought was really cool and that was "Force 10".....just a world of difference.  I just think the creativity isn't there...but that's not for me to say....maybe we better head over to Rush Interactive Network before we start getting egged.....

(BTW....my tickets for the Gorge came today...yippie....)