Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 5" 9mm vs. HK USP Expert 9mm

Trying to hone my skills and have the option to do USPSA production or some other type of competition. I was fairly set on getting the USP Expert but I'm having last minute second thoughts, especially since the M&P mag situation seems to be corrected.

Tentative builds for each:

M&P:

-Apex DCAEK trigger kit

-KKM barrel

-Maybe some springs

USP Expert:

-Nothing (I don't mind the stock sight style)

The price on the Expert would probably be 200 more but that isn't a big enough difference to be a deal breaker

I have heard good things about the Expert's accuracy, but also heard that it has a weird recoil impulse due to the dual recoil spring system. I've also heard good things about the Pro's ergonomics and trigger potential, but negative accuracy reports and a few other reported issues are a little concerning.

Accuracy and reliability are some of the biggest factors for me, but I am interested in hearing opinions on why one of these is better than the other.

I have and have shot numerous versions of each. The M&P will make a substantially better competition gun. I've tried to make my H&K's competitive, but they lack the after market parts options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I do not own a HK USP Exert, but the Elite which I use in LImited 10. I also own a M&P 9 Pro. There is no comparison. The H&K is in a whole other league when it comes to accuracy. The M&P is like your Glock, and XD. Great service weapons and they do work perfectly fine for USPSA at least as far as accuracy is concerned. But if you sit down bench and take out the shooter factor, the H&K is extremely more accurate. The plus for the M&P like others have posted is there is a ton of aftermarket pars and accessories. For the H&K there is not much of any. Granted this is just my opinion. But there is no way I am selling my H&K, but I am going to sell my M&P Pro. Mine is very inaccurate, in comparison. I sometimes for fun shoot an old Star Model 30M in .9 mm. And I get much better groups out of it then I do my M&P. So I guess it comes down to what you really want. The M&P is accuarte enough for USPSA, and it is reliable. But I tend to like to be differnt and be the only guy at the match with that particular pistol. My vote is H&K all day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an M&P Pro 9 and a H&K P30. H&K is definitely more accurate, but the reset is horrible. $375 for the competition short reset trigger job on a $900 gun is a bit much. The accuracy of my M&P wasn't that bad. For action shooting the M&P is fine. Sights, Triggers, Barrels, Base Pads and Holsters all available from multiple MFG. for the M&P. Slim pickings for the H&K.