Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major bullet choices

melissa5

According to Hodgdon (http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html) LongShot is much slower than Unique, even slower than HS6, AutoComp and Silhouette (three favorites amount the 9 Major crowd).

LongShot should work the comp well although I suspect you'll start seeing some pretty flat primers before you make Major. Here's what I would do if I were you (I'm glad to see you working with a chrono :cheers: ): Check your barrel and your mags to see how long you can load with your 115gr Berry's (I'm thinking ~1.145"), then load a handful of rounds at 6.0, 6.2, 6.4 and see where you're at. That should get you a safe baseline, then work your way up from there watching your primers to see how flat they get. Are you using pistol or rifle primers?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that comp is pretty much just for looks with your current loads. You are only generating 155PF with that 124. You will need to get a more suitable powder to get the gas up in that gun

According to Hodgdon (http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html) LongShot is much slower than Unique, even slower than HS6, AutoComp and Silhouette (three favorites amount the 9 Major crowd).

LongShot should work the comp well although I suspect you'll start seeing some pretty flat primers before you make Major. Here's what I would do if I were you (I'm glad to see you working with a chrono :cheers: ): Check your barrel and your mags to see how long you can load with your 115gr Berry's (I'm thinking ~1.145"), then load a handful of rounds at 6.0, 6.2, 6.4 and see where you're at. That should get you a safe baseline, then work your way up from there watching your primers to see how flat they get. Are you using pistol or rifle primers?

Pistol primers (Rem 1 1/2). So far the best length for the G17 gen 4 is 1.150 + .005. I've never used Longshot in the 9mm but use it for 45acp. It uses less volume the unique and less grains to make a better velocity so I'm hopeing it would work the same way for 9mm. Hogdon is showing

6.0 1166 27,300 CUP as a max so I'll start there and work my way up till I find a load that works reliably. Then I'll see what the barrel flip looks like in video.

;)

Longshot is the best of what you have but not great and you can have trouble gettin major without flattening primers. If your gonna shoot open 9mm major your best bet is to buy a suitable powder over trying to make due with what you have

Longshot is the best of what you have but not great and you can have trouble gettin major without flattening primers. If your gonna shoot open 9mm major your best bet is to buy a suitable powder over trying to make due with what you have

While powders can be found getting the good ones is not as easy as you make it sound. Also it should be noted that the necessity of having a major is not necessary. This is more to obtain the greatest function and reduction of recoil from my compensator as I don't shoot competitive. ;)

Sounds like a plan!

Five 124 gr rounds with 5.8-5.9 gr Longshot made and awaiting testing, hopefully tomorrow if the rain holds off. :blush:

I think you'll be pleased :)

So results are in. Using Berrys 124 gr JRN and 5.8 gr I averaged 1200 fps with no FTF or FTE's. However barrel flip was still evident so I upped it one spot on the disc to 6.3 gr long shot with the same bullets. Big reduction in flip it seemed and averaged 1275fps with the highest velocity reaching 1300 fps (124x1300= 161pf) just below a true major. As you can see from the photo there is no evidence of bulging primers or deformed brass. Looks like your advice worked Kneelingatlas, thank you. :cheers:

80828d1383408174-reloaders-chat-comp-127

I'm glad to hear it, did you take video?

No, it's dark and cloudy so I was lucky to sneak out and get enough light for the chrono to operate. I'll make up 50 or so rounds and try to get some video next time I shoot.

As for the 115 gr, with the 124gr the powder almost fills the case to where the bullets base is. I know it's supposedly "okay" to crush powder in with the bullet but I like to avoid that if I can. :blush:

Yes, less than mind blowing...

If I'm thinking of the right comp it doesn't have much in the way of top ports does it?

Here's a video of my Open gun with 100 grain bullets and 9.3gr of HS6:

They crono'ed right at 1,650 fps. Unfortunately the minimum bullet weight for Major in USPSA is 112gr, but they make a great steel load.

Edited by kneelingatlas

From what I can see in pictures, the LW comp is more like an AR15 flash hider than a comp; this Jager comp has more conventional ports and baffles to direct gasses upwards:

compensators.jpg

Ive only shot one Open Glock and I think it had a similar comp; it worked pretty well.

Well, here's the product info on mine.

The Lone Wolf 9mm Major compensator offers a unique advantage to the discriminating competitive shooter. This exceptional performance is accomplished in 2 simultaneous steps. First, the redirection of gas to a 30 degree rearward angle actually pulls the barrel forward, reducing felt recoil. Second, the redirection of gas vertically provides a genuine reduction in muzzle rise. The result allows the shooters sights to remain on target or realigned quickly providing faster accurate follow up shots.

Want your compensator custom engraved? Check out our custom engraving options here.
Popular choices are "Smile, Wait for Flash" and "Warning, Lead Poisoning" around the muzzle.

*Lone Wolf Distributors provides a quality engineered light weight system that delivers maximum performance at 1/2 the cost of similar compensators.

• Fits standard LWD 9mm barrels threaded 1/2 x 28 models G17,17L,19,26,34.
  • Will not fit any LWD 9mm conversion barrels threaded 1/2 x 28 models 22/9, 23/9, 24/9, 27/9, 35/9.
  • We highly recommend the use of LWD stainless guide rod and ISMI standard power recoil springs (up to increased power) with this product.
  • Light loads, reduced power loads and standard ammunition WILL NOT RUN RELIABLY. You must use +P, +P+, or 9mm Major loads with this compensator.
  • 115 grain, light loads, or other weak ammo is known to not work reliably with this compensator. Reliability is affected more with tactical or long slides (Glock 34/35/24/17L).
  • Approximate dimensions .75"H x 1.5" L x 1" W
  • Steel construction with a dark charcoal parkerized finish that's superior to black oxide.

*Customers have reported these comps work great on Walthers

Are you shooting USPSA? Try to find someone shooting Open with a small frame gun (Glock, M&P, CZ) and shoot your loads in their gun, their loads in yours; then you'll know what your setup is capable of.

No, I've not become competitive yet and most of those I know who are shoot rifles. So for me this is all scientific experimentation and learning. I like to actually be good at something before I compete. LOL