Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 shellplate advance problem

I am having issues with my Super 1050 shell plate advance. The index arm and pawl appear to be the issue. I have taken the damn thing apart like 5 times now and it LOOKS exactly how the picture in the manual is when I put it back together. It will then run for what seems like a few hundred rounds and then the advance pawl will no longer center in the hole's on the shell plate and thus will not reset correctly and wont advance the shell plate. The arm does not appear to be bent in any way(I dont have a spare to compare to) and the index pawl and spring is new since I thought that might have been the issue.

There SEEMS to be about a 1/16" of play when the arm is on the bolt and the bolt is tight. It SEEMS like I am missing a washer of some type to take up the slack, but I dont see one in the diagram. If I hold the arm in(take up the play) the thing works beautifuly, but its a pain to try to hold the arm in so the unit will advance. I thought at first I was some how trapping the spring in between the threads of the bolt and the shaft that the arm pivots on, but I have triple checked that this is not happening.

This is where the advance pawl will stop and thus not reset. It appears it's to far towards the back of the machine(as evidence by the play in the arm on the bolt shaft).

IMG_20131017_161000.jpg

If I push the advance arm assembly forward(towards the front of the machine) the pawl resets and this is where it rests when I release it which to ME looks like its to far towards the BACK of the machine and not centered in the hole as I think it should be.

IMG_20131017_161152.jpg

This is where the arm is normally sitting when the bolt is tight, spring is in the correct place, etc...

IMG_20131017_161055.jpg

This is the little bit of play I believe I have that is causing this issue. I can push the arm towards the front of the machine and it will center and run great.

IMG_20131017_161120.jpg

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY on a machine that otherwise works fairly well. Anybody got any idea's?

I can tell you that I broke mine one time and had to make a new one and it was tough to get it just right. I would suggest taking it off the machine and look close for any signs of it having been stressed. Look for the hole to be slightly egg shaped.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I can tell you that I broke mine one time and had to make a new one and it was tough to get it just right. I would suggest taking it off the machine and look close for any signs of it having been stressed. Look for the hole to be slightly egg shaped.

Its been off the machine a few times today and everything LOOKS good. I really dont want to shell out 90 bucks for a new arm. I think I am going to go to Home Depot and get a plastic washer and use it to take up the slack and see how that works. That is the only thing I can think of to get it going without buying a new arm JUST to see if the one I have is bent in any way, which I dont think it is. It lays flat on my work bench on both sides and, like I said, I dont have another unit to check to see if the bend in it has gotten screwed up in any way, but I also dont see how that would affect the reset since it is completely off of the roller during reset. It ACTS like the bolt isnt all the way tight, but I have checked that numerous times to see that the shoulder of the shaft portion of the bolt is tight on the machine.

Im wondering if my return spring could have gotten bent and not have QUITE enough tension on it to really be popping the thing back into place. Is that a common spring to wear out?

BTW: your primer collection tube works GREAT(especially when you buy 1/2" ID tube instead of 1/2" OD tube LOL).

Edited by rjacobs

Its been off the machine a few times today and everything LOOKS good. I really dont want to shell out 90 bucks for a new arm. I think I am going to go to Home Depot and get a plastic washer and use it to take up the slack and see how that works. That is the only thing I can think of to get it going without buying a new arm JUST to see if the one I have is bent in any way, which I dont think it is. It lays flat on my work bench on both sides and, like I said, I dont have another unit to check to see if the bend in it has gotten screwed up in any way, but I also dont see how that would affect the reset since it is completely off of the roller during reset. It ACTS like the bolt isnt all the way tight, but I have checked that numerous times to see that the shoulder of the shaft portion of the bolt is tight on the machine.

Im wondering if my return spring could have gotten bent and not have QUITE enough tension on it to really be popping the thing back into place. Is that a common spring to wear out?

BTW: your primer collection tube works GREAT(especially when you buy 1/2" ID tube instead of 1/2" OD tube LOL).

The quality of springs now a days is very good but then again what quality is this spring? Anything is possible. One thing I do know, there are manufacturing tolerances that come into play for everyone and it could be you just stepped over the edge with a little wear. I say use common sense and if it looks like it is off center due to too much play, then find a washer that wont bind it in any way and give it a try.

Check the indexer stop screw....back left side of press. There is a allen head screw under one of the locator pins, that limits how much or little the pawl pushes the shell plate when the handle is returned to the top position.

Worth checking if it has loosened.

Check the indexer stop screw....back left side of press. There is a allen head screw under one of the locator pins, that limits how much or little the pawl pushes the shell plate when the handle is returned to the top position.

Worth checking if it has loosened.

Its not that its not pushing far enough, its that it wont reset to push the shell plate again.

I got it all torn apart, I might call Dillon tomorrow. The press is almost brand new, I cant think that I have worn the little arm at all or even that the spring has worn out or anything like that.

How is spring # 13944 and 13624

Page 27

Will post pics in the morning.

I dont have my manual with me right this second, but I am assuming the two springs you are talking about are the advance pawl spring and the spring with the leg sticking out to the screw on the frame. The advance pawl spring is brand new, I changed it when I put the new advance pawl in. The spring with the leg on it is the original, but again, fairly new and LOOKS like the picture in the book, but I guess that doesnt mean much.

Here is the advance pawl arm assembly, bolt and spring(13944).

IMG_20131019_123922.jpg

SD1: 13944 is pictured here. Its original to the machine, 3-4k cycles on the machine. 13624 is the advance pawl spring and it is brand new, maybe 700 cycles. I replaced it along with the advance pawl thinking that was the issue. I have tried using oil(instead of grease) on the various contact points here, no change. I went back to grease, no change.

It still appears to me that there is some play that is causing the arm to not be centered in the hole on the shell plate and thus is hanging up just slightly and wont reset as a result. I bought a few different nylon washers to try to take up this play, but they are all to thick and as a result when you get the bolt tight enough to take up all the play, then the arm cant move. If you loosen the bolt so the arm can move again, the play is gone, but then the bolt continues to loosen itself as the machine runs and after about 2 cycles is completely loose and wobbling. So unless I can locate a thinner nylon washer to take up the play without being so tight as to lock up the arm, that idea wont work out.

Without having a brand new advance pawl arm assembly($90) in front of me along with a new bolt and spring to see if mine are screwed up somehow, I am about out of ideas. I think a call to Dillon will be in order early next week when I have some more time to mess with it unless you all see something obvious in my various pictures.

As a temporary fix...

How about using a metal feeler gauge to close the gap, cut and punch a hole in it and replace.

Looking at the manual(pg 27), I don't see a wave spring in the drawing for that bolt, but sure looks like one would work to lessen the gap.

13944 looks good.

is the Fail Safe spring to tight, or Main Spring possibly bound or bent limiting tool head upper travel?

mine likes to bend up main springs every 4-5 months

Edited by SD1

13944 looks good.

is the Fail Safe spring to tight, or Main Spring possibly bound or bent limiting tool head upper travel?

mine likes to bend up main springs every 4-5 months

fail safe spring, I assume your talking about the powder thrower? Not installed. Doing 300BLK brass conversion on this machine exclusively.

Mainspring(large spring on the back side of the tool head? I dont believe its bound or bent or anything, but I will pull the tool head off and make sure.

try backing of the Pawl stop set screw..it may be in to far

Im trying to see on the diagrams what part this is. Does this keep the advance pawl assembly from traveling to far to the left of the machine or does it keep it from returning to far to the right under spring tension?

Edited by rjacobs

pull station #5 locator tab out. there is a hole there for the allen screw.

when shell plate is removed, it is the threaded shaft you see to left of pawl.

that lil gem IS NOT on any diagrams

pull station #5 locator tab out. there is a hole there for the allen screw.

when shell plate is removed, it is the threaded shaft you see to left of pawl.

that lil gem IS NOT on any diagrams

Will check it out, but that seems like it would keep the advance pawl from going to far to the left i.e. the advanced position for lack of a better term. I dont see how this could be causing the arm to not reset far enough to the right and re-engage the shell plate, but maybe I am not thinking through things correctly.

I checked the pawl stop set screw, backed it out and then ran the machine and messed with it. Didnt change anything.

BUT

Success was achieved with a fiber washer from Homodepot. .032 thick, 3/8 ID, 5/8 OD. It was half as thick as any metal washer I could find and it being fiber shouldnt cause any binding or any metal on metal contact and cause any further issues. I know this probably isnt a permanent fix, but I just dont want to pony up 90 bucks for a new assembly if this fiber washer will take care of my issue and get me running again. Next time I order stuff from Dillon I am going to order a new return spring and bolt for the advance assembly and see if the bolt isnt out of spec or something.

So if anybody else is running into this issue(it doesnt seem to be to common) go to Homedepot and grab the above fiber washer to take up the small amount of play in the advance assembly. The advance pawl now runs perfectly centered in the hole on the shell plate instead of to far to the rear as it was before.

Ran a little over 1000 rounds through the press today. 100% good to go with the fiber washer. Eventually I will order a completely new advance assembly, bolt, spring, pawl, etc... and see if I can figure it out, but for now a 12c fiber washer is working like a champ.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem which i battled for over a day.

I tried the suggested method of adding a washer which didn't work.

I replaced the index assembly with my other press including the shell plate which didn't work too.

I was puzzled, I couldn't figure why a press that was working just don't.

I replaced every part that could go bad in the system and yet, a fail.

The only thing i didn't change was the actual press body.

Hours later I watched closely again.

The arm move and index if I hold and release it in a snap.

The arm will not index if I release it slow kind of a smooth motion of actual operation on the press.

The "tooth" would just hang right on the edge of the hole but will not go all the way so it can pop up and index the next cycle.

I ended up thinking what if the tooth was a hair lower?

I took the index arm for a little filing.

I couldn't find my metal filing kit (only the wood one) so I ended up on my grinder.

In order to not grind to much i turned 1 wheel by hand slowly while putting the tooth on the other.

I grind just enough to show "new shiny" metal on the top of the tooth.

Installed it and it works.

I run about 2k on the press with out a problem.

If you run into this problem i would approach it in the following order.

1. install a thin washer as suggest in this thread.

2. unwind the return spring about half turn and see if the extra pressure helps.

3. grind very little (probably 0.001) of the top of the tooth.

Good luck

Happy reloading

My indexing problem is due to the main shift bearing play letting the main vertical shift twist. This means that the indexing arm is pushed as far as it should. I replaced the spacer the arm rides on with one with a larger outer diameter.

I actually fixed mine FINALLY the same way orisolo did. I noticed the top of the pawl was catching so I took it off, took a file to it and knocked it down a little where it was catching. No issues now through about 20k rounds.

My new 1050 is JUST like my other one out of the box. The pawl doesnt ride in the center of the shell plate holes, it rides to far to the outside. So at least I know my first 1050 isnt out of spec.

I think this would be an easy thing for dillon to fix. I think the screw that holds the whole index assembly to the press could have the shoulder shortened just ever so slightly to push the arm and pawl a little tighter on the press(essentially doing what my little fiber washer does).

• 3 weeks later...

I actually fixed mine FINALLY the same way orisolo did. I noticed the top of the pawl was catching so I took it off, took a file to it and knocked it down a little where it was catching. No issues now through about 20k rounds.

My new 1050 is JUST like my other one out of the box. The pawl doesnt ride in the center of the shell plate holes, it rides to far to the outside. So at least I know my first 1050 isnt out of spec.

I think this would be an easy thing for dillon to fix. I think the screw that holds the whole index assembly to the press could have the shoulder shortened just ever so slightly to push the arm and pawl a little tighter on the press(essentially doing what my little fiber washer does).

just did the same fix and it worked for me too. I'm also adding a bearing for the shell plate to ride on so it smooths out operation.