Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Informative article to new Multigun shooters. I need info!

Maxximuss

I desperately could use the Brian Enos members collective experience/knowledge!

I am writing an article for the Utah Peace Officers Association (UPOA) magazine. The article is about Multigun/3-gun and what it takes to begin this shooting type. I wanted to have a basic history of Multigun, popularity, and minimum/recommended requirements of equipment. I have only shot 3-gun, USPSA, and IDPA for about 3 years and know there is a vast knowledge above and beyond my own. The UPOA is looking at using Multigun/3GN type shooting to bring a new blood into the firearms program. The UPOA currently uses a slow fire shooting style called Practical Police Combat (PPC) as it's shooting gauge and competition. Please help me obtain good content to motivate, inform, and encourage the Police community through my article.

We are looking at holding our first Multigun Match in February 2014 in St. George, UT (Hopefully at the SUPR range, venue of the 2013 Area 1 Match, Purgatory Hard as Hell Multigun, and 2013 Back to Back Nationals). I will be looking into finding sponsors or donations (of time, talent, training, or equipment). Please let me know if you can help with any of the above requests.

Thanks!

Jeremy Dunn

• 3 weeks later...

Are you looking for what it takes to host it, what kind of gear most people find the most useful, or how to succeed?

For what it takes to host it, you've already got a venue, but you're certainly going to need staff and a plan. How long do you expect to have your shooters? How many can you wrangle into helping set stuff up? If you've set up a USPSA match, you can set up a 3-gun stage in much the same way, with the added need for staging/abandonment points, targets that are easy to differentiate per gun (e.g. grey steel for SG, blue steel for pistol, metric targets for pistol, mini metric for rifle, etc) Broadly, you should also be balancing the use of each gun -- it's not one or two gun or two and a half gun.

As for gear, tons of stuff! Limited and Production guns both succeed in 3-gun, and basically anything a modern police department would issue (Glocks, M&Ps, XDs..basically any double stack nine or forty) would fit the bill for pistol. For the rifle requirement, what kind of rifles do you expect your audience to have? What kind of rifle shots can you set up? If you're limited to 100 or 200 yards, a basic M4 setup with iron sights or a 1x red dot can certainly be competitive. That said, people looking to be competitive in iron sight division will finagle their rifles for maximum sight radius and a balance of speed and accuracy. Lim Scope division seems largely dominated by 1-4 glass, and Open is, as always, anything goes.

Shotgun is the fun part. Shooters will be feeding their shotguns all the time, especially if they're 5 or 6 shot 18/20" models as opposed to the 8+ shot tubes 3-gunners prefer. It also takes a bit more practice and thought into what kind of shell carriers to use.

As for motivation, one of the coolest parts about 3-gun to me is how it forces people to come back to higher reliability and higher retention sorts of equipment. If you've ever known any shooters who get turned off by seeing someone with a bikini holster and Christmas tree of mag carriers, or not being able to move around a lot, they may find the physical challenge of 3-gun appealing.

Thank you both for the information. I already submitted the article so I hope it turned out well. I know of Mike Seeklander very well, he is a fantastic shooter and trainer. The other I was considering was Robert Vogel. I should check with both of them and see if I could fill enough slots to make it worth their while.