Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Witness Stock 1 Owner with questions

ScottQ

I ran across what seemed to be a good deal on a barely used Witness Stock 1 at a local store, and it decided it needed to go home with me. I could hardly say no to such a nice looking firearm, so it's found a new home.

My intention is to shoot this pistol in Production, as I'm rather tired of shooting plastic guns and have been wanting something like this for a while. I have ordered a Blade-Tech holster for it, and a couple of reduced power recoil springs to fine tune the pistol to my reloads. It appears as though my Springfield XD mag pouches are the same as those for the Witness mags, so I should be fine there.

I have some questions, though, mostly relating to the trigger. My (limited) experience to date is mostly on rifle triggers and polymer guns (Springfield XD and Glock), so the DA/SA trigger is all new to me. Currently the trigger pull is somewhat more than 8.5 lbs in DA (that's as high as my trigger pull gauge would go), and around 4.5 lbs. in SA.

I would obviously like to bring the weight down and smooth up the trigger pull so it will be nice for Production shooting, but of course I don't want to do anything that will bounce it out of Production. From what I'm reading, simply polishing various bits inside will both reduce the weight and smooth out the pull? Is that essentially correct? And if I wish to go lower still a lower power hammer spring, possibly in conjunction with a longer striker, will also help?

Not sure what else I might be missing, or if this is something I should even consider taking on myself. Is there anyone you guys might recommend to work on the trigger on this gun, who does a nice trigger job?

Anything else I should consider doing to the gun to improve reliability or function, and still staying within the Production rules?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

You can definitely do it yourself! There is a wealth of information on this forum and others. a good trigger job begins with smoothing everything as much as possible, then lowering the spring weights of the trigger return spring, trigger plunger spring, and hammer spring. If you substitute polishing with just lighter springs the result will be mushy and unreliable.

Here's a thread showing all the critical points to polish (it's for a CZ, but much is the same): http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

Yes absolutely you can do it yourself. I watched a shooting buddy of mine take mine apart once to change the springs. Since then I've taken all the way apart and polished, sanded etc...at least 2-3 times now. I'm still not quite happy with the double action yet so I may do it one more time.

Just go slow and dont lose any of the small parts. The sear spring and the trigger return spring are the most difficult parts to reinstall but once you do it you figure it out pretty quickly.

Edited by Prov1x