Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Point of Impact and sun

Flashman

I am probably asking a question I know the answer to but let me explain. I seem to be particularly sensitive with some kinds of sights to changes in the point of impact when it is sunny. It seems the POI moves away from the sun. If it is sunny (vs cloudy) the POI goes down. If the sun is coming from the right, the POI travels left. This seems to be a particular problem with fixed sighted guns (Vaquero's and GP's). For IDPA, I use a blued fixed sighted GP100. I painted the front sight orange to help see it better and have been blacking out the orange slowly but still have the low impact problem. Cloudy, it seems to shoot fine. I also shoot Steel with a 617 with adjustable sights. No problems.

Any ideas on how to overcome this. New sight color. Perhaps I should go back to black?

Usually it seems the shots go towards the sun, I end up centering less of the blade.

One reason why, in days past, most all ranges faced North/South, it helps moderate that issue.

An undercut FS that's serrated is the best in this case, you can add a FO and it's still good.

Worst is the Partridge, slanted plain FS.

I am probably asking a question I know the answer to but let me explain. I seem to be particularly sensitive with some kinds of sights to changes in the point of impact when it is sunny. It seems the POI moves away from the sun. If it is sunny (vs cloudy) the POI goes down. If the sun is coming from the right, the POI travels left. This seems to be a particular problem with fixed sighted guns (Vaquero's and GP's). For IDPA, I use a blued fixed sighted GP100. I painted the front sight orange to help see it better and have been blacking out the orange slowly but still have the low impact problem. Cloudy, it seems to shoot fine. I also shoot Steel with a 617 with adjustable sights. No problems.

Any ideas on how to overcome this. New sight color. Perhaps I should go back to black?

All open sights are effected by light to some extent. With side lights we tend to hold the front sight off center to allow equal amounts of light to enter on both sides of the front sight. This makes it look more equal to the eye but it causes the firearm shoot to one side.

A small radius at the top of the sight blade can catch a glare and this can change the apparent height of the sight blade. This can effect the elevation of the shot. Cowboy guns are particularly susceptible to this.

For my eyes I like a front sight with a vertical or nearly vertical rear face and a sharp edge at the top. I do not like painted or colored sights, but I don't mind a fiber optic insert in a black face.

I zero my sights in neutral light and I don't worry about it beyond that.

An undercut FS that's serrated is the best in this case, you can add a FO and it's still good.

I believe you are confused as to what a Patridge front sight is. A Patridge front sight has a vertical rear face and provides a sight picture similar to the undercut sight you mention.

From Keith's Sixguns:

post-40526-0-59799900-1381803580_thumb.j

All open sights are effected by light to some extent. With side lights we tend to hold the front sight off center to allow equal amounts of light to enter on both sides of the front sight. This makes it look more equal to the eye but it causes the firearm shoot to one side.

A small radius at the top of the sight blade can catch a glare and this can change the apparent height of the sight blade. This can effect the elevation of the shot. Cowboy guns are particularly susceptible to this.

For my eyes I like a front sight with a vertical or nearly vertical rear face and a sharp edge at the top. I do not like painted or colored sights, but I don't mind a fiber optic insert in a black face.

I zero my sights in neutral light and I don't worry about it beyond that.

I believe you are confused as to what a Patridge front sight is. A Patridge front sight has a vertical rear face and provides a sight picture similar to the undercut sight you mention.

From Keith's Sixguns:

attachicon.gifSight Diagram.jpg

Yes and No. The Ramp is the worst by far, but a standard Partridge is still likely to round off and show glare, serrating them helps. The best, if it really distracts you, is the undercut though. The Serrated Undercut sights always seem to show a full blade. Cutting the serrations while the blades on the barrel, is problematic though!

Yes I did have a senior moment and mis-communicated my thoughts :roflol: .

Edited by pskys2

Senior moment? I almost typed Patridge rear sight last night. I'm only 43.

If you have access to the facilities, sights can be parkerized and then blued before installation. It makes for the darkest matte black you can imagine.