Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opening up my loading port for my 930 w/ Arredondo

Aristotle

I recently converted my 930 to shoot in Open, I installed the new Arredondo 930 Speed loader but noticed if I don't put a good enough angle on the Tecloader into the gun, I end up with tec loader parts at my feet and not in my gun. Hulls will catch on the leading lip and it quickly turns into a train wreck from there. A friend of mine was looking at it and suggested I open up the port more, especially in the front lip more. I want to know if I'm over looking something, but I don't think it should pose as a problem, and see that a lot of folks open up the port much more than I have it now. How far is too far?

20131009_220526-1.jpg

I used to have a 930 to which I added a Benelli M2 chute since Ralph did not have his 930 product out yet. I experienced the same sort of problem occasionally until I added a slight notch to where the tube ears contacted the chute. That locked in the tube at the proper angle and everything went as planned. I did no special treatment to the gun for the loader. This, of course, was easy since the notch went into the plastic part that mounts on the gun. This part is the original tech loader catch that works with Ralph's legacy chute for Benelli.

Later,

Chuck

I don't have a good picture of the hack but here a a couple pictures to help you understand where I was going:

post-400-0-52575400-1381447815_thumb.jpg

Look at the right hand picture. The problem that I was having turned out to be having a bad angle on the loader tube when I pushed on the follower. The tube was against the edge at A but it was not up against the surface of the chute. The ears of the tube were above the "crotch" of the black plastic thing at "B". The black bracket had smooth ears that allowed the ears to slide down (away from the mag well) and let the angle go too shallow to get the rounds into the mag. As you have described, the shells and follower would just spray out the bottom.

While this was a quite entertaining for my squad, it had a negative effect on my scores.So what I did in add a slight notch at "B" that would catch the ears and keep them from rotating away from the gun when I pushed on the loader. That way, the tube could not pivot at "A" and spray stuff all over the ground. I no longer own the gun so I have no clear photos of the notch. But if you just hold a tube fully against the chute, you will see where the ears have to be for a good load.

And, you may also consider giving Ralph a call and see if he has some advice before you modify anything.

For me, the notch and making sure I got the tube in with the ears flat against the chute was the answer.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Here is a marginal sketch trying to explain the problem I solved.

post-400-0-00346100-1381449484_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps!

Chuck

PS: I forgot to ask: What tubes are you using? The tongue length varies with what gun the tubes were designed for. I used the Benelli tubes which worked well. The Remington tubes had a longer tongue that needed to be trimmed.

Edited by ChuckS

you also need to ensure you are using the correct tec tubes. benny built mine using ralph's benelli assist, so i use the benelli tubes with the shorter tongue. if yer using ralph's 930 assist, i don't know which tec tubes you need. give ralph a call.