Saibot's Performance Journal

saibot

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reason I ask is because I have Ben's Dry Fire book coming this way .... ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ahh. Well I'm sure you'll like it and get a lot out of it. To be honest, if you're doing the least amount of consistent dry fire you are already doing more than most of the people you shoot against. I find that fact super interesting, but I like to ask people on my squad about their training routine and most do not dry fire. They guys that are kicking butt and have come out of nowhere to Master do work hard at it and dry fire very regularly.

Have you been doing it or just getting started?

I've been doing Dry Fire at least 5x a week for like 30 minutes a day for the last 4 months

I have seen the progress going from the middle to the top 10 places consistent at every club match.

I shoot every other Sunday mixing IPSC- USPSA- IDPA and ACTION STEEL ( USPSA style scenarios and rules but all steel )

What kills me is that I improvise Dry Fire since I have a small apartment and no format at all

I need a guide and I think its on its way :-)

I've been doing Dry Fire at least 5x a week for like 30 minutes a day for the last 4 months

I have seen the progress going from the middle to the top 10 places consistent at every club match.

I shoot every other Sunday mixing IPSC- USPSA- IDPA and ACTION STEEL ( USPSA style scenarios and rules but all steel )

What kills me is that I improvise Dry Fire since I have a small apartment and no format at all

I need a guide and I think its on its way :-)

That sounds about right!

:)

Get your book yet?

Live fire (5.10.14)

I was actually able to make it to the range for a bit today for some live fire training. My buddy and I decided to setup and shoot the IDPA classifier after we shot some steel plates and a slow fire target at 25 yards, which I was happy to have gotten all but one called flyer in the black, a first for me. I shot the practice classifier and after penalties would have made Expert with 6 seconds to spare. As it turns out, their putting on the IDPA classifier tomorrow, but being Mother's Day, there is just no way I'll be able to shoot it.

I shot the Frank Garcia Dot Drill for a while and actually cleaned a few of the dots, and wasn't far off on the others. Then I finished up with some draws to an upper A zone drill and called it a day. It was a very good day of practice and was just a ton of fun as well.

Training (5.17.14-5.18.14)

Wow...I just finished up a two day training class with Steve Anderson and I learned more in two days than I could have imagined. Easily the best class I've ever taken. Anderson is truly a talented instructor who made radical improvements in everyone in the class.

I have a ton of notes I need to translate from range shorthand to human readable English, but when I do, I'll post 'em here. It's certainly change how I train, both live fire as well as dry fire. "Seeing what you need to see" finally registered with me, not that I didn't understand the concept, but now I KNOW what I need to see. I move too slow between positions but now I know how to fix it, so I'll have a lot of new dry fire drills I'll need to start working on.

A friend of mine took a video of me shooting a stage we setup and shot the morning of the first day and then at the end of the second day. When I watched it I couldn't believe it was me shooting and moving the way I did.

What a great weekend of shooting!

Dry fire (5.19.14)

I spent about an hour dry firing using Anderson's new program and really found some speed gains in my draw and reload. I think it is really smart to use a set time per exercise rather than a fixed number so my mind is on my practice instead trying to keep count. The movement exercises are a bit frustrating since I'm still having trouble getting them down and doing them correctly, but when I get them right, it's so nice. I just glide into position with my sights ready to go.

Hey man.... throw a hint of the real definition of "Seeing what you need to see "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Emjei-

It's a little hard to put into words exactly, but on most targets I personally need to see a hard front sight focus, where as most people need less. I was also getting too much of a sight picture on the hoser targets that didn't need it. "What you need to see" really varies for each shooter I suspect, but Steve helped me figure out what I needed to see or not see. Also, the "aiming too hard" thing was really great to experience.

I hope that makes a little sense to you. Again, it's a bit tough putting it into words.

What I think is that we have to trust our point of aim on closer targets because I caught myself taking too much time looking at the front sight when I'm about to break the shot at 15yds or less.....

Dry fire (5.20.14)

I spent about an hour and a half working on reloads, draws from various positions, WHO/SHO, 6 reload 6, El Prez, shooting on the move, etc. I am smoked. Not using a timer, but probably will next time to see how my times are doing. I'm just using my phone to time each exercise, 3 minutes each.

Dry fire (5.23.14)

Tonight I did what I've been doing since the Anderson class, 3 minutes per drill that he outlined for us. Then shooting/reloading on the move drills as well. It typically takes about an hour and a half and I'm pretty smoked at the end. I had to take the grip tape back off of the pistol since it was wrinkling up anyway and my hands are starting to look like hamburger. I'll put some back on before the match tomorrow.

USPSA Match (5.24.14)

Just a quick post about the match I shot yesterday, which is the first match I've gotten to shoot in a while and the first match I shot since my classes with Stoeger and Anderson. I was lucky enough to squad with a most of the people I shot the Anderson class with last weekend (and a couple from the Stoeger class, too) and it was great to see everyone shooting so much better. Amazing to see what good instruction, drive, and practice will do for your game.

So, as far as my personal results, it could have been better. Not to say I didn't improve, it's just that I now have much higher expectations. Getting a 1st place ribbon would have made my day in the past (which I did, 1st in B class/Production) but I didn't shoot my best the entire time which cost me some places in the rankings (4th of 33 in Production and 14th of 80 overall).

I know I need to focus on all of the shots I did make, not the few I didn't or I'm going to have some mental/SI damage, but I guess I'm still trying to find the perfect point between speed and accuracy for a given shot.

I know that from my above summery it sounds like a had a bad match, not the case at all really. I had many small victories along the way including some very fast times in some places and going one for one on most of the steel, no No Shoots, and some great stage planning if I do say so myself. :)

I did get "prop f*@$*$d" on some messed up pepper popper which was beyond my control as did the guy who took 1st in Production.

OK, with that rant above, what to work on? Calling EVERY shot! I'm generally pretty good at this but got ahead of myself (lost control?) a couple of times and paid the price, including the hit just outside of the perf (which was ruled correctly as a Mike) on the head of target on the classifier. That error probably cost me more than anything else in the match. I also called a C and D on a target in a 4 target array that I was raging on and didn't make it up. Bad decision. I saw it happen and kept going and that cost me as well.

So, my list to work on is forcing myself to call every shot every time, make up bad shots, and of course, always be working on accuracy. I am happy the with double alphas I took on some of the farthest targets in the match which is all from correcting my trigger control issues that Stoeger identified. It was super satisfying to draw and take down 3 mini poppers with No Shoots behind them with blinding speed while leaving the position. Those Anderson drills paid off big time.

The one other "macro" skill I need to work on is to get moving sooner and get shooting sooner. Anderson spends a lot of time on this and we drilled it a bunch. I really see the value of this, but have not yet really internalized it into my subconscious yet. I think that skill is one of the big things that separates the A's from the GM's.

So to wrap up, I now have the list of things that I need to work on going forward, and have set my sights on A class. It just went to a "nice to have one day" to "let's get busy and take down my A card!"

Edited by saibot

Dry fire (5.28.14)

I spent about 45 minutes working on classifier skills with the Anderson drills tonight and dang do they work for me! I was pushing, but not sloppy, and was consistently hitting 3.90 on the 6 reload 6 and the El Pres. I'm pretty happy with that and discovered the two areas that seem to be my bottleneck are getting the sights on the first target and snapping my support hand to the index point to grab the magazine for the reload. When those are perfect the time is even quicker.

I also worked on exploding between positions and doing a reload on the way. Smoked me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Ben's Dry Fire Book and now I want Steve's ...grrrrr

Lol

Emjei-

How are you liking the dry fire book?

6.8.14 IDPA Match

I had a dang good day today at our local IDPA match. I haven't seen the results yet, but I shot pretty darn well and think I will place pretty well. My did make three errors, shot one target out of order since it really wasn't placed well, and clipped a no shoot on one stage that I didn't call, and missed a plate in front of a no shoot that got a lot of people. My accuracy was good and my speed was good, too. All of my draws were fast as well as all of my reloads! All of the dry fire changes have really been paying off. I really love to see everything come together from all of my work. Very exciting!

Ben's book is very simple and easy to understand but after reading your impressions about Steve's book it has to have something better

Btw I shot IPSC yesterday and placed 8 out of 42 and 4th in Production ....Dry Fire DOES work

Love CZ

Ben's book is very simple and easy to understand but after reading your impressions about Steve's book it has to have something better

Btw I shot IPSC yesterday and placed 8 out of 42 and 4th in Production ....Dry Fire DOES work

Love CZ

Emjei-

Most of the dry fire resources are going to be pretty similar, just finding the one(s) that resonate with you, or have something different to keep you interested is the key.

Congrats on the strong finish!

And I totally agree, dry fire does work! In fact I just saw the results from the IDPA match yesterday. I'm happy to report I won the match!

:) :) :)

First pistol match win for me.

Emjei-

Thanks! It was a ton of fun and a pretty challenging match.

I messed around with Ben Stoeger's Tangfolio when he was out here and it was pretty nice. I really don't dig the SA/DA triggers though. At this point, the Glock is fine. I'm sure it's not the gun that's holding me back.

:)

What are you shooting?

Love CZ

Emjei-

Most of the dry fire resources are going to be pretty similar, just finding the one(s) that resonate with you, or have something different to keep you interested is the key.

Congrats on the strong finish!

And I totally agree, dry fire does work! In fact I just saw the results from the IDPA match yesterday. I'm happy to report I won the match!

:) :) :)

First pistol match win for me.

Congratulations!!!