Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saibot's Performance Journal

saibot

22 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Maybe Mike set the targets too low? ;0)

Hahahah! I think you're right!

:)

Well at least you figured out that you were hitting high during the match and held low. I didn't realize it until after the match when I saw the video. 

So, did you learn that your sights were off, or that you were "heeling" the gun? I haven't been able to get out to check yet.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, saibot said:

Hahahah! I think you're right!

:)

Well at least you figured out that you were hitting high during the match and held low. I didn't realize it until after the match when I saw the video. 

So, did you learn that your sights were off, or that you were "heeling" the gun? I haven't been able to get out to check yet.

I bench tested best I could and was hitting low left. Thinking too much and flinching. Heeling was brought up on Saturday. The fix would seem to be more practice.

Do you case gauge? I'm just getting into loading so I'm very inexperienced. A piece of 380 brass made it into my first batch of loads but I was able to catch it when I dident feel any resistance on the down stroke. It was such a small change that I cant expect to catch all of them in the future. I was thinking of investing in one of the Hundo case gauges and was wondering if it would catch 380's.

9 hours ago, Brophy-J said:

Do you case gauge? I'm just getting into loading so I'm very inexperienced. A piece of 380 brass made it into my first batch of loads but I was able to catch it when I dident feel any resistance on the down stroke. It was such a small change that I cant expect to catch all of them in the future. I was thinking of investing in one of the Hundo case gauges and was wondering if it would catch 380's.

I don't typically use a case gauge, but I have a QC process that catches this sort of thing. But I don't follow that process with practice ammo, and I still had practice ammo in some of my mags when I hit the match, then just topped them off with match ammo. Whoops.

;)

To be honest, between the way I have my press configured, my selection of dies, and my QC process, I never have issues. Not to sound smug, but I learned a lot the hard way, and now have ammo every bit as reliable as factory.

And did I mention that I learned many, many great lessons the hard way? Thousands of 5.56 that doesn't work is heartbreaking.

Anyway, I guess I learned one more lesson about my ammo this time. Need to dump my practice ammo out before loading for a match.

Dry fire.

Transitions, transitions, transitions, transitions, transitions, transitions, reloads, reloads, transitions, reloads, transitions, reloads, transitions, transitions, reloads, transitions.

That's what I worked on tonight. 

Any guesses what I noticed needed work?

;)

Live fire.

Made it out for a little bit before it got dark to check out the zero on my Q5. Looks like it is still spot on, and it's me messing things up.

Worked a bit on steel and it was hit and miss. We put a no shoot behind the steel and I discovered that when I miss, it's at 7 o'clock, almost in the same hole. Sigh, still yanking the trigger at speed.

We also put up a few paper targets and worked on transitions, not worrying about hits at first, just working on driving the gun as fast as possible. Then dialed it back a little and was getting mostly A's at blazing speeds. Just about Bill Drill times. Then started moving the targets further apart and trying to keep the same times. 

Need. More. Practice.

Live fire.

Made it out for a quick live fire session and worked on getting better hits on tough targets/steel/tough positions. Not terribly productive, and still experiencing some trigger yanking/timing issues. Shooting around barricades/hard leans can really take its toll if I'm not doing my part.

Live fire.

What a wonderful practice session! Best of the year by far. I really needed to get out and have a high round count live fire session since I've been having some strange issues with my vision/trigger/timing. To help in my efforts, I slapped my Delta Point on my backup PPQ and ran it for most of the day. I ran a Leatham drill, freestyle, then strong hand, then weekhand. It all came together and the heavens opened up for me and I finally got my stuff together. After the drills we setup a good sized stage with lots of challenging elements and ran it a few different ways. I then switched back to my Production PPQ and was raging pretty hard with it. It was really devine to have the symbiotic sensation between my vision, my grip, and the trigger. It's hard to explain, but all three were working together to effortlessly work the gun, getting perfect hits while at speed. The sights were tracking perfectly and I wasn't having to TRY to manage recoil. It was just happening. Like a tension/timing triangle. (Ya, I know that won't make any sense to anyone.) I tried a Bill Drill at 15ish yards and had no issue keeping all the rounds in the A zone. Emptied a couple of magazines on a steel plate like I was shooting the Bill Drill without missing a single shot. I hope I can keep this "sensation" and call it up at will!

Simply a great practice session.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, saibot said:

Live fire.

What a wonderful practice session! Best of the year by far. I really needed to get out and have a high round count live fire session since I've been having some strange issues with my vision/trigger/timing. To help in my efforts, I slapped my Delta Point on my backup PPQ and ran it for most of the day. I ran a Leatham drill, freestyle, then strong hand, then weekhand. It all came together and the heavens opened up for me and I finally got my stuff together. After the drills we setup a good sized stage with lots of challenging elements and ran it a few different ways. I then switched back to my Production PPQ and was raging pretty hard with it. It was really devine to have the symbiotic sensation between my vision, my grip, and the trigger. It's hard to explain, but all three were working together to effortlessly work the gun, getting perfect hits while at speed. The sights were tracking perfectly and I wasn't having to TRY to manage recoil. It was just happening. Like a tension/timing triangle. (Ya, I know that won't make any sense to anyone.) I tried a Bill Drill at 15ish yards and had no issue keeping all the rounds in the A zone. Emptied a couple of magazines on a steel plate like I was shooting the Bill Drill without missing a single shot. I hope I can keep this "sensation" and call it up at will!

Simply a great practice session.

That's awesome lol    Now if only the planets will align on match day...

A bit of catch up here, as time has been super tight as of late.

Been a little bit of dry fire, but not nearly enough and it's showing. Index is off, times are down, yada, yada, yada. Paying the price of lack of practice. I did have a quick live fire practice session to see if I could still see/feel what I experienced durning my last practice, but unfortunately, I didn't. I must admit, it was somewhat disappointing. But I do think I'm on the tail of getting it back since I know it's there now and likely, how to get it back. We'll see.

I shot Thunder and Lightening to see what I might expect to get on this weekend's match. Once with my Production gun, once with my CO gun, and shot 89% both times. My single handed shooting is weak and I pulled a delta with my week hand on both runs. I guess I know what I still need to work on...

;)

I hope I will get to attend this weekend's match since it'll be the only shooting/practice I'll get to do for a week or so. The schedule is mad. I need a clone.