Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Older limited small frame safety

djb25

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an older small frame Tanfoglio Limited in 9mm. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm already looking at ordering a few new components. One main thing is a new safety. I've really come to love the "toggle style" safety that came on my large frame limited pro, and I was hoping to order one for my new small frame.

However, looking at the photos of the small frame, it seems as though the safety may be a different design.

Here's a picture:

Limited%20-%20Small%20Frame%20-%20Right%

On my limited pro, the right side safety (the LH safety lever) attaches by sliding onto the safety rod and is held in place by a roll pin. It doesn't look like this ambidextrous safety attaches the same way (although it could just be that it isn't visible in the photo).

Does anyone know if the current Tanfoglio safety design is compatible with this model?

I also have an older tanfoglio small frame (a "Combat Shooting Cohai" model) and the newer safety is not compatible with that pistol. Perhaps my "new" limited uses the old style safety?

As an aside - if anyone has a small frame longslide with a replaceable front sight they would like to sell, I'm interested in buying.

If it isn't the roll pin style it could be the style some of the older models came out with which is similar to the 1911 ambi safety. In these the main left side safety part (if looking at it from the back of the pistol) is cut with a split in it which sits inside the sear cage etc as normal. The right side of the safety is a flat "tab" which sits inside the slot in the left side part and then both sides are retained by the sear spring leg which sits in a notch which lines up when the two sides are together, apologies if this sounds confusing. The good news is if it is this style of ambi safety any of the new roll pin style ambi safeties will just slot straight in.

Also for what it's worth, I have a small frame Limited which came with the safety I mention and it worked fine but the right side portion was a little sloppy with some up/down movement/freeplay. I didn't like it so changed to the roll pin safety and all has been fine since.

I'll be very interested to see what the front sight looks like; the seller told you its not removable?

Yes, he told me that it is not removable. He painted it or colored it with a sharpie or something.

I'll be very interested to see what the front sight looks like; the seller told you its not removable?

Yes, he told me that it is not removable. He painted it or colored it with a sharpie or something.

Sounds like my Springfield P9's, all three of them came with the sights machined right into the slide.

Cheers,

Evan