Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore and printing

euxx

No, I mean look like a button at all. This is not an ios issue, though the two ideally should look alike as much as is reasonable and act alike as much as possible (features, operational flow, etc). Specifically here, I mean enhancing the overall user interface as presented. You know: a rectangle with rounded corners with the word "Share" contained within. Something. ANYTHING more than just "Share" at the top on the header line without any sort of button-like graphic so that it doesn't just get lost in the rest of the header line.

That is where we will have to disagree. I don't see why an Android application should look like an ios one... From Android user point of view any rounded corners don't look like native at all and break platform UI guidelines at many levels.

Hadn't tried it, but went back and did so, and yes, it did work.

Good. So, it is not a Practiscore issue then...

But you were planning some sort of print or share "button" on the review score screen, that would work like results is supposed to work?

I am not planning and honestly don't have any experience with hooking up any hardware with Android. So, all I am doing here is enabling use of standard Android mechanisms to share/export some data for those who are interested and willing to experiment with that. Of course Ken may have different opinion on the whole thing and if he'll come up with some generic solution, that would change everything.

By the way, all major printer manufactures (HP, IBM, Cannon, etc...) have their own variants of Printershare. You can try search trough Google Play for your printer manufacturer and/or model.

No, I mean look like a button at all. This is not an ios issue, though the two ideally should look alike as much as is reasonable and act alike as much as possible (features, operational flow, etc). Specifically here, I mean enhancing the overall user interface as presented. You know: a rectangle with rounded corners with the word "Share" contained within. Something. ANYTHING more than just "Share" at the top on the header line without any sort of button-like graphic so that it doesn't just get lost in the rest of the header line.

That is where we will have to disagree. I don't see why an Android application should look like an ios one... From Android user point of view any rounded corners don't look like native at all and break platform UI guidelines at many levels.

Why? You have them at the bottom of the target score entry screen (DQ, DNF, Review). You have them at the bottom of the review screen. (Back, Save) You have them at the bottom of the edit shooter screen. (Save and Return, Save and Add Another Shooter) You have an 'edit targets' cmdbutton on the edit stage screen. You have rounded-corner cmdbuttons all over the android version of practiscore; why can't you have this one additional one for the share results function?

Hadn't tried it, but went back and did so, and yes, it did work.

Good. So, it is not a Practiscore issue then...

Well, it might still be. Remember, when I sent to printershare, the displayed print preview screen showed a blank page.

But you were planning some sort of print or share "button" on the review score screen, that would work like results is supposed to work?

I am not planning and honestly don't have any experience with hooking up any hardware with Android. So, all I am doing here is enabling use of standard Android mechanisms to share/export some data for those who are interested and willing to experiment with that. Of course Ken may have different opinion on the whole thing and if he'll come up with some generic solution, that would change everything.

By the way, all major printer manufactures (HP, IBM, Cannon, etc...) have their own variants of Printershare. You can try search trough Google Play for your printer manufacturer and/or model.

That's useful, thanks. (Again, rooted nooks, so typically no google play available, .apk file has to be available for direct download.) I'm actually thinking about whether one could use a brother wireless label printer for this, loaded with the plain paper roll that is available for the device. Now, the printed output would have to be formatted to fit on such a form, similar to what iOS prints out now, as shown below. Or just formatted in a compact layout of some type. Print two copies: one to give to the competitor, the other to be retained and forwarded to stats.

post-2179-0-65758600-1380212667_thumb.jp

Edited by wgnoyes

Why? You have them at the bottom of the target score entry screen (DQ, DNF, Review). You have them at the bottom of the review screen. (Back, Save) You have them at the bottom of the edit shooter screen. (Save and Return, Save and Add Another Shooter) You have an 'edit targets' cmdbutton on the edit stage screen. You have rounded-corner cmdbuttons all over the android version of practiscore; why can't you have this one additional one for the share results function?

I see... The buttons you see are styled by Nook. They are not rounded at all on other android devices.

On the other hand, the action bar buttons are styled by android. Somehow they look natural on non-Nooks and I don't really fancy going into changing that. Besides, when you install ios7, all your round buttons on your phone will go away in a snap.

Well, it might still be. Remember, when I sent to printershare, the displayed print preview screen showed a blank page.

The same thing worked with dropbox, google cloud print and few other things I've tried, so for some reason Printershare is not picking up link to the local file that need to be printed. Someone will have to contact application developer about that.

The Printershare does, however, show the file if you manually paste that file link into entry field on top of that empty screen. So, in case someone would want to play with that, the link is copied to clipboard starting from 1.2.5.

To reiterate, I've enabled some standard Android mechanisms, so you guys can share your experience and play with printing apps like Printershare, printer manufacturer apps or even develop your own custom printing app. If anyone want some pointers for the latter, please email support@practiscore.com

So give us square-corner buttons. I don't care, just don't hang a label out there like "share" on the title line of the results pages without some kind of border indicating this is a button and that if you tap on it, it's going to do something, because otherwise it's very, VERY easy to miss. Just like that "back" < sign in the upper-LH corner of most screens that lets the users back out of whatever it is they're doing. It may be easy to spot on a real android color screen, but it's damn near invisible on grey-scale e-ink. I have no doubt that, despite their short-comings, rooted nooks outnumber EVERYTHING else on the range by a wide margin and therefore any change made to the GUI should be reviewed and tested on a grey-scale e-ink screen before being sent out.

As to iOS 7 changing everything as it appears in ps, nope, sorry, you're wrong. Practiscore looks EXACTLY the same, screen for screen, under iOS 7 as it did under ios 6.x. All the 3d-appearing controls and features of PS are still there under the new operating system.

Copy/paste links, meaning I have to save to dropbox first, meaning I have to have an internet connection so dropbox will work? Way too complicated. People need to just be able to hit 'share', select a printer and go without all that jumping around and other propeller-head stuff.

No thoughts on a wireless label printer or similar roll-fed device like described above? Brother has one. Could it be used for something like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Area 6 Director-elect Jay Corn has tested printing the score review screen with a Brother QL-710W wireless label printer on paper roll from ios. He says it works fine. This printer lists on Amazon for around $127 and has it's own built-in print server.