Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9Major: Anyone running an Zev Open Glock 17 with HS6 and MG 124 JHP?

Fureio

I've been researching this forum for 2 months now and have gotten so many different answers and opinions that my head is spinning. Anyone willing to help a novice reloader get a test batch loaded and not destroy my brand new Zev race gun?

I am looking for a 9major recipe using the following components:

• Zev Open G17 with a KKM match barrel and a Zev Major comp.
  • Reloading components:
  • Montana Gold 9mm 124 gr JHP
  • Mixed range once fired brass
  • Winchester small pistol primers
  • HS-6 (I already have found great tips and recipes for using Autocomp, so no need to share recipes for that powder)

My questions:

• What's a reliable OAL for use in the Glock? Most of the answers i'm getting revolve around a S_I or custom 1911
  • What's a good start and max load with powder?

My goal is 1375 fps using a F1 Shooting Chrony.

One last note to share with you all: I've asked Zev to share what recipe they use to QC the pistol and their answer was that they don't share recipes. All I can surmise is that this is a liability issue.(?)

Edited by Fureio

1st question you asked- OAL.....Running 9 Major, you will have a compressed load. Doesnt mater what powder you used. I have found, through a LOT of trial and error, that 1.155 OAL with my normal 115gr bullet load has been reliable and safe. I've been running 3n37, and is my preferred powder. With my load i'm SUPER compressed, and I'm sure you will be as well with a longer bullet, so watch your brass and primers for the signs of over pressure.

2nd max load- Best advice is to get yourself a reloading manual. If thats not available to you (and i cant imagine how its not) then start your test loads at well under what the target is. Example, if you read on here that someone has their load at 7.6gr of whatever powder, start at 6gr and work your way up. Safety first and foremost. Dont mean to seem like im trying to spell this out in crayon, just trying to be clear with my post as so much can get lost in translation.

Stay safe, have fun learning.

It sounds like you have the same pistol I have. Love it. My OL is 1.155 and I load my MG 124 JHP with 7.9 grs. oh HS-6, for a PF of 167. I was going to bump the load a little, until Powder Valley got in 8 lb. jugs of AutoComp. I'm glad your using a chrono.

I started tweaking the dies tonight and noticed that using mixed brass may not be a good idea. Setting the seating die, i dialed in the OAL to 1.155 with WInchester brass, but the OAL sunk to 1.152 with PMC. Is there a good margin for variance at these pressures? Or should i sort out the brass and stick to OAL specifically to 1.155?

gng4life: are you asking how many ports the compensator has or popples in the KKM barrel? No porting on the barrel. The comp has 6 ports.

Right, in the barrel, good. Then you should be able to make Major with a slightly smaller amount. With a 124, I would start at 6.5 and work up from there. I run 9Major in multiple S_I guns and I have a buddy who runs it in a G34 Open gun. He uses quite a bit less than I do so again, start low and work up slowly remembering that pressure is not linear.

On the OAL, that is normal so it is best to sort them (but you will have some variation, usually smaller) or you would have to shorten the OAL slightly to account for the variation.