Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tap/rack/bang does not work...

FTDMFR

...when there's no magazine in the gun.

I guess I didn't seat the mag properly during LAMR. The first round blew the magazine out, but I didn't notice. I tap/racked once, click, tap/racked again, click. Then I see the RO out of the corner of my eye handing me my mag.

Good thing it was during practice and not an actual match. Lesson learned.

...when there's no magazine in the gun.

I guess I didn't seat the mag properly during LAMR. The first round blew the magazine out, but I didn't notice. I tap/racked once, click, tap/racked again, click. Then I see the RO out of the corner of my eye handing me my mag.

Good thing it was during practice and not an actual match. Lesson learned.

What gun were you shooting?

Could not feel the gun being very light, due to no mag/ammo? Are you sure the mag just did not fall out by itself, or you accidentaly hit the mag release (extended mag release) as you were gripping the gun?

Another time the Tap-Rack is less than desirable is if you have a squib, and only hear the click of the firing pin striking the primer. If you think misfire and Tap-Rack to chamber another round, and the bullet has gone far enough into the barrel that the round will chamber, the only clue you have to a squib is seeing the ejected case come out of the gun without a bullet in it.

If you miss that clue, your KABOOM is only a fraction of a second away.

It's something to think about. I've seen it happen.

...and I've seen guys at my club have their spider sense go off in those sort of scenarios and just call a halt to their stage completely. That's very smart on their part and I hope I have the presence of mind to do the same thing if I ever feel something is not right.

I've had one near-squib in all of the years that I've been shooting and I knew something was deeply wrong as soon as the round went off. It had enough just enough power to get the round completely out of the barrel, but the slide action felt so different from any other ammo-issue I ever had that I knew not to fire another round.