Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow model differences

Nimitz

Where to begin ....

Did you get your Shadow from CZC?

What prompted you to switch to the Shadow?

What spring weights are you running and what is the resulting DA and SA pulls?

How long did it take you to learn the DA pull first shot? Did you do anything special to train this?

What grips do you have? I was looking at the aggressive checking from CZC or the diamondbacks from Mink.

Did you notice anything different in felt recoil? I've heard the lower bore axis, heavier weight and larger beaver tail make a difference?

What trigger do you have? Factory SA/DA or factory 85 combat SA/DA (may be too recent depending on when you got yours ...)?

Overall, what's the major difference between the 2 now that you've shot both in competition?

Are you still happy you switched?

I have two Shadows. One I got worked over from Mink (www.automaticaccuracy.net), and the other was worked over by our own Stuart Wong. In my opinion they are the two best guys to work on a Shadow. My Shadow from Mink has the short reset trigger mod, and that one is my match gun. The other is a backup, but it's very capable obviously.

What prompted the switch ultimately was my old G34 just stopped being reliable. I couldn't go a major match without a malfunction for pretty much all of 2012. I finally got it worked out before Nats, but by then my mind had been made up to switch.

I have an 11 lb recoil and 13 lb hammer spring. DA is 5.5 lbs and SA is 1.75.

The DA pull is no big deal. It hardly takes any time to get used to it. The only time it has been an issue in recent memory was when I pulled a DA weak hand shot into the C zone on a classifier. To practice it I just dryfired a lot.

I have the new CZ Custom "arched" grips. They're ok. They're not actually arched, which is a bummer. I don't have big hands, but I like a fat grip so I can get behind it more. Different people like different things, though if you like the Glock grip the thick aluminum grips from CZ Custom will be very close. Put some grip tape on them (on the whole thing, not just those dumb cutouts) and you will be fine.

I don't notice a difference in recoil. I think with a minor round, a few ounces on the gun here and there don't make much of a difference in recoil. Mostly the recoil is determined by the shooter.

I have the factory curved trigger. It's fine. I've tried both, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Overall I would say they are pretty close in terms of performance, but of course the CZ is better. The CZ is more accurate and has a better trigger, but ultimately it's up to the shooter to make it all work. I think if you're expecting to buy one and see immediate improvement you're going to be minorly disappointed. Some other benefits are a more stable sight picture when shooting on the move, no more malfunctions when I grip too high on the Glock and it cuts my hand open, and for me the ergos are better with respect to the CZ controls. I'm definitely still happy I switched. The Glock is fine, but the CZ is better, though it's not a magic ticket to a GM card or anything.

I switched from a G34 to a shadow as well. I'd do it again tomorrow. Both mine are from Mink and both are identical and have the SRT. I had him set them up as he does his even down to the diamondback grips. I would also agree with what Beltjones has said above. I wen from B to M in about 7 months but that's from the practice not the gun.

BTW, what trigger setup do you have in that G34?

That's a stock 34.

that would be fantastic! This is the last piece of info I need before making a decision to have one built ...

Hey sorry it took so long to get back to this. Here are a few (poorly done) videos showing the trigger pull. As a reference, this pistol is a CZ75 Shadow Target Custom from CZC and has the short reset trigger in it. The only other mod is it has an 11.5lb hammer spring vs the 13lb that I believe comes with it. DA pull is a hair over six pounds and SA is about 3lb 3oz.

DA pull:

SA pull and pretravel:

I will say there is no weight on that pretravel. You know it's there, but it's nothing until you get to the sear and then it's about 3lbs then hammer down.

Have you ever played with anyone else's Shadow that had a short reset trigger mod? Because I would bet $20 that yours doesn't have one. That looks perfectly stock to me.

I have played with a couple of other CZs, but not any shadows with an SRT done. The reset is definitely shorter than the ProTek I had.

I bought the gun brand new from CZC and ordered it with the SRT. I'd be surprised if it didn't have the SRT in it. Would be curious to try someone else's, though.

Looking at beltjones' vid, I'm not sure that is a good comparison. Does the SRT also reduce pre-travel?

beltjones, could you post a vid starting with the trigger back and slide cycled, then release to reset and pull the trigger again, similar to my vid?

Edited by RexKramer

Dude, the SRT does nothing to shorten the reset. I'm not even sure why it's called that. Pretty much all it does is shorten pre-travel.

The thing that shortens reset between your Pro-Tek and the Shadow is the absence of a firing pin block in the Shadow. You could easily tell if your gun has a "short reset" disconnector in it by diassembling the gun and looking at the disconnector pinned to the hammer.

Here is a picture of both disconnectors. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=176252&p=1952727

The Shadows are not all based on the SPO1. The added weight of the SPO1 tac-rail helps shot recovery but impairs swing to transition. Shooter's preference.

The Custom 75 Shadow has the Shadow upper and the SA 75 lower---no tac rail. Comes with same action features as the Target--Thin Aluminum grips, Comp Hammer, ext. FP etc, etc, but has fixed Competition Rear and FO front sights.

My Custom 75 Shadow has the Hajo adj Competition Sight pkg and comes with a trigger pull you can specify. I asked Stuart for and got 3# SA and approx. 6# DA which can be lightened if you choose. 4#-5# DA is attainable, but will likely limit the primers you can reliable ignite to Fed. and Win.

I am one of those guys that went the other way, I used to shoot a CZ (75 Shadow and some 75bs) and switched to a Glock.

I would agree with a lot of what the other guys have said but not all of it. I find the Glock to be as accurate as a CZ, and even more so with a wider variety of ammo. I find the grip easier to replicate draw after draw on the Glock due to the bigger grip. Like Andy said, the CZ needs a better set of grips for me and at the moment they aren't out there.

I had more problems with the CZ not running, not really a gun issue but it can be a little pickier about the ammo especially the OAL and bullet shape. Also, reloads are a little harder to hit due to a smaller opening.

As far as triggers, yeah you won't find a better trigger pull than the CZ, it is pretty sweet. DA should not be any trouble to pick up just some dry fire and learn to not think about and just pull through and you will not even notice. Compared to my Glock, my 75 Shadow ("stock" trigger) is only a little better, mostly just lighter. My Glocks have a LWD trigger block and a lightened striker spring, that gives it a pretty short rest and take up and a trigger pull that is about perfect for me (CZ is actually a little to light for my taste).

In the end, it is all about personal preference, I keep thinking about switching back but I just like the feel of my Glock a little better, it shoots flatter and softer (percieved) than the CZ and for me a big plus is.............they are cheap and you can find them. I think if you go the CZ route you won't be disappointed, they are great but they are not the magic beans that will grow a GM card.

I am one of those guys that went the other way, I used to shoot a CZ (75 Shadow and some 75bs) and switched to a Glock.

I would agree with a lot of what the other guys have said but not all of it. I find the Glock to be as accurate as a CZ, and even more so with a wider variety of ammo. I find the grip easier to replicate draw after draw on the Glock due to the bigger grip. Like Andy said, the CZ needs a better set of grips for me and at the moment they aren't out there.

I had more problems with the CZ not running, not really a gun issue but it can be a little pickier about the ammo especially the OAL and bullet shape. Also, reloads are a little harder to hit due to a smaller opening.

As far as triggers, yeah you won't find a better trigger pull than the CZ, it is pretty sweet. DA should not be any trouble to pick up just some dry fire and learn to not think about and just pull through and you will not even notice. Compared to my Glock, my 75 Shadow ("stock" trigger) is only a little better, mostly just lighter. My Glocks have a LWD trigger block and a lightened striker spring, that gives it a pretty short rest and take up and a trigger pull that is about perfect for me (CZ is actually a little to light for my taste).

In the end, it is all about personal preference, I keep thinking about switching back but I just like the feel of my Glock a little better, it shoots flatter and softer (percieved) than the CZ and for me a big plus is.............they are cheap and you can find them. I think if you go the CZ route you won't be disappointed, they are great but they are not the magic beans that will grow a GM card.

You're weird....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free