Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross eye dominance shotgun sights - what do you use

stuart1336

I am right handed and left eye dominant. Up until last December I was shooting with one eye closed and then I found out about this type of sight.

I have been using a tru glo wing stopper anti dominant eye sight

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190893899346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This sight has improved my game tremendously and I shoot two eyes now for everything.

But and there is always a but, I'm sure there must be a better design out there. The tru glow was supposed to be self adhesive. That lasted a few minutes. Then we glued it. Lasted a bit longer. Then we screwed one end and glued the rest and its been good for a few months until I knocked it sideways on a stage in a comp. Nothing superglue wouldn't fix but a bit confusing mid stage.

It's quite long,wide and not designed for 250 rounds a week.

I have found other makes available in the UK

Uni Dot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350748065822?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And the most expensive is the HiViz Magna Comp which looks to be a lot smaller and also from the video uses a lense at the end of the fibre optic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200957822827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone used the HiViz Magna Comp? What recommendations do you have?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant too, my right eye is very weak but corrected to 20/20 with contacts. My left eye, the good one has a multi focal contact.

These methods may be wrong but work for me. With pistol I shoot with both eyes open and my left eye does the job. For rifle I shoot left handed off the left shoulder with both eyes open. Then for shotgun I shoot right handed with my left eye closed using H-Viz 4 in 1 sights. They're kind of cheap, being made of plastic, so I use two small zip ties to keep the front sight in place. After several months of dumping this in a barrel it still holds up well.

http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/turkey-deer-sight-sets/four-in-one.html

When I started practical shotgun I was advised to go left handed but I felt because I had previous experience with guns that it would take too long to swap everything. I'm so glad I stuck with right handed. The only problem was the shotgun and this was solved with the sight. Because its in a tube the left eye can't see it. So when both eyes are open there is only one dot and its always the right one!

I'm surprised they are not more popular in the States.

I understand the theory of the tape on the glasses but wouldn't it better for running around if you didn't need it.

I also now think that there may be some advantages to being "cross eyed". I have found working steel with a rifle I transition faster left than right. I think it's probably better to have the strong eye clear of the gun to pick up more in peripheral vision.

I would find swapping sides for different guns a bit challenging. No matter what I shoot the right hand just pulls the trigger. The left hand reloads and manipulates. This is the same for pistol, rifle and shotgun. I never understand why some shooters load a shotgun strong handed and then the other guns weak handed. I'm sure it just makes it all more complicated than it needs to be.

I have a similar tru glo "glow dot" front sight on one of my other shotguns and have used tape to block out my dominant eye when shooting tap. But when running 3 guns blocking out my good eye just doesn't make sense. My scores would be even lower than they already are if I did that.

You might want to try those mini zip ties to keep you sight in place.