Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay to run uncleaned brass through cases feeder to xl650 only deprimi

Hgh623

I want to deprime my 223 brass before wet tumbling so I can get the primer pockets cleaned .

Will the dirty brass make too big of a mess in my case feeder?

I could use three tool heads ,here is my process

1. Deprime on press w/ Casefeeder. First toolhead

2. Wet tumble with stainless steel media-dry brass

3. Resize and trim on press. Second toolhead

4. Tumble off lube-dry brass

5. Powder charge, seat bullet. Third toolhead

I would deprime on a separate press if you aren't going to be cleaning the brass first. Not only will it gunk up the feeder it'll also get a ton of grit and crap in the workings of your press.

Seems like you're adding a whole mess of unnecessary steps. In essence removing the need for a progressive press at all. You may be better off using a turret style press for that kind of process.

For me , i full resize and deprime on a single stage press after tumbling because if i leave the primer pocket open then my media gets stuck. I don't rotary tumble with stainless so i'm not sure if that would be an issue or not , but , i don't tumble off my lube until after my rounds are pressed , but usually i just use a towel to wipe em down.

If you want clean primer pockets , for me, i use a primer pocket uniformer and then a primer pocket brush , both on an RCBS trimmate. That's if you want to be super anal about cleaning your 223 brass. I do all that for precision reloading but not really for stuff for my ar, i haven't found that cleaning the primer pockets makes that much of a difference in a 3 gun or non precision applications.

my order of operations is

Tumble ( corn cob )

full resize and deprime ( lee single stage )

Check length and trim if needed

If trimmed , chamfer and deburr ( this is when i'd uniform and clean the primer pocket if needed )

Lube ( dillon )

Then i load in my 650

wipe down with a towel.

That's how i do it, and there are many many ways to do so. But i would avoid running dirty ammo in your 650

if you're wanting real precisoin

You could run the dirty brass for 15 min or so in a vibratory with walnut hull and that would remove the dirt and crud before you run it through the press. People deride the extra steps but the actual involvement time is really very small - you can do something else while the tumbler/or whatever runs - or take a nap.

You could run the dirty brass for 15 min or so in a vibratory with walnut hull and that would remove the dirt and crud before you run it through the press. People deride the extra steps but the actual involvement time is really very small - you can do something else while the tumbler/or whatever runs - or take a nap.

That's exactly what i do . I think keeping everything fairly clean is important with reloading. Especially reloading large volume