Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special 1911

bompa

Have always been courious about a 38 special 1911..Know that Colt made a few quite a while ago and it was never popular..Well it is something I would to play with,sort of a winter project..Does anyone have any idea where I might find an inexpensive,read cheap,barrell ?? Might never get off the ground so don't want to put much into it..Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks people..

Henry

I have a friend that has one of the original ones. One of the things that you have to remember is that this is a wadcutter gun only. The bullet is loaded so that it ends at the end of the case. Other wise they will not fit into the magazine.

Problems abound. You aren't going to just drop in a .38 Special barrel and go to it. The .38 barrels as made by Colt fit special slides, lacking locking lugs. The barrels are made so they won't even fit a standard 1911 frame.

The Clark conversion involves re-building a .38 Super (at least originally, they may do it to .45s now) into a .38 wadcutter gun. the last Clark conversion I worked on, I was able to rebuild it so the owner could swap barrels, springs, guide rods and magazines back and forth between .38 Super and .38 Special.

As a curiosity, it is neat. As a competition gun (apologies to Bullseye shooters) it sucks. The few I've had a chance to shoot were only casually accurate by IPSC standards. (Ransom rest, factory match wadcutter ammo, 2+ inches at 25 yards) The recoil is unnecessarily harsh. You're shooting a 107PF blowback pistol, and you can tell. A locked-breech .38 Super running at 130 PF is softer in recoil. The magazines hold five rounds, and are expensive as hell. And the guns can be very, very picky aobut what they will run with and work reliably with.

As a gunsmithing/design exercise, the .38 Wadcutter gun is a miracle. As a competition gun, forget it.

If you really want one buy a clark gun.

I shot some with 158wc's at about 700 fps and it was a tack driver. Only running about 2.5grains of bullseye powder.

I shoot the same load in my model 52's. Yes I used to shoot bullseye until I got thrown off for shooting slow fire to fast.

I believe I have lost the desire to try a 38 spec auto conversion.. Wonder if a rechambered 38super barrel would be usable ? Perhaps it would be rather expensive also..Would prefer a locked up barrel anyway..

Well it was a good thought anyway..

Thanks for the information guys ..

Back to the drawing board for a winter project..

Henry