Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed with strange sized moonclips.

ewokUk

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here so please excuse the dum questions.

Here in the UK we aren't allowed hand guns but some of the long barreled revolvers are legal under our gallery rifle regulations as long as the barrel is longer than 12" and the overall length is greater than 24" and it's one of these that I've got problems with.

The gun is a Taurus 6 shot .45 ACP & the moon clips that come with it are 22 thou thick and hold the brass a little too loose. It's possible to get 5 shells partially in & have one missaligned so everything jams up.

I've tried some 40 thou thick clips (I think they came from a 625) & they hold the shells perfectly, dropping into the clyinder every time, but being .40 thou thick they stop the cylinder from closing.

Is there anywhere that supplies moonclips in unusual sizes or different thicknesses?

Or could this be sorted by trying different brass? So far we've only tried IMI brass. Or are there any other cures for this?

Thanks

Mike

The thing to do first is measure the headspace of your revolver. That is, the gap between the breechface and the rear of the cylinder. As I recall, the thickness/headspace of the 625/25-2 and others is .090" What you need is for your moons and the rims of your brass to come up to, but not over the headspace of your revolver.

Have you not asked Taurus about this?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums. So, you've finally got yourself a LBR!

I would just give Taurus a ring and ask them how to deal with the problem.

BTW, Taurus doesn't list any 6 shot .45ACP revolvers on their site. Is this a custom shop gun?

Greetz,

Björn Dietrich

If is possible to find you might want to try some auto rim brass and forget about the moon clips ..The problem is I am not sure if anyone is producing this brass anymore..Recall hearing a rumor that starline was going to make some but haven't seen anything..

I have a bit of Rem that I use in a 625 and really like it,much more user friendly than the clips..

Good luck what ever you decide..

Henry

Thanks for all the replies guys, you've given me plenty of things to try.

Answereing your comments:

Patrick - We haven't approached Taurus yet, as in the past they have never bothered answering any emails (or even orders) that don't come from their main importer.

Round_gun_shooter - Thanks for the offer, I might have to come back to you on this. At present we are trying to find out just what .45ACP brass is available in Uk. Since we had our pistols banned it hasn't been too common.

Spook - Well I'm in the process of getting one, you know the licencing problems we have here! It is a custom gun as are all of the Taurus revolvers made for the UK. Aparrently the 12" models are made in Brazil & shipped to Germany where they go through the legal process & then they get shipped to UK. I even have one with .38 chambers & a .22 barrel!

Eric - This was my first thought, I'm working on making a holder/jig to put them on a belt sander at the moment, but would rather do this "properly" if the right gear is available.

Henry - Thanks for the suggestion, I had never heard of Auto Rim Brass. But one of the reasons for getting the Mooncliped LBR in .45ACP was so that I could get some practice in using them. I have arranged to borrow a S&W 625 for the IPSC world championships next year & I thought it might be prudent to get some loading practice in before the event!

Again, thanks for all your help, I'll let you know what works.

Mike

Can you have the cylinder machined .020" for standard clips?

The quick answer is probably, but since we had our normal pistols taken away, there are very few gunsmiths still in business who do revolver work.

I have been looking for one who can convert an "air cartridge" revolver to moonclip operation for the past six months, but haven't found one yet. :(

Perhaps someone else here can add to my memory..Seems as though I remember reading about some new moon clips made of plastic that were supposed to be rather good..Now if there is such a product it might be easier to reduce in thickness or perhaps they might make them in different thickness for different guns..

Sorry I can't be clearer on this product,it's darn difficult getting old,hope it might be of some help somehow..

Henry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you need to thin your moonclips, surface grinding is the way to go. They will be absolutely true and surface grinding can be done to very fine tolerances. All your moonclips can be put on a magnetic table and ground at the same time.

Just about every machine shop has a surface grinder so shouldn't be difficult to find someone to do it for you

Peter Dawson

Thanks Peter,

I had though about surface grinding as my company had a similar problem with some shims about a month ago.

The problem was that the metal is so thin that the magnetic table couldn't hold them securely enough. A combined mechanical stop/magnetic table might do the job but the tooling costs would go through the roof.

Currently, I have appraoched a well known moon-clip company who are looking into the finances of doing a limited production run in 22 thou. If not too expensive this could solve the problem.

Mike