Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads and Draws

minnesota1

I just got Mr. Andersons dry firing book and look forward to countless fun filled evenings of dryfiring. :wacko: I want have the proper techniques for the reloads and draws and I would hope I am doing them O.K. but as history has taught me oh so many times I probably am not.

I am interested in the proper draws for the pistols-semi auto and the King-revolvers :P . If there are any videos showing in detail the art of the draw I would love to purchase them. I have CR Speed holsters for my guns.

Lastly, I would like to see videos of tactical reloads for the shotgun. I have a SX2 tactical and I have a couple of those speed strippers (the ones where you can stack 5-6 rounds up on top of each other for reloads). I can grab 3-4 shells at a time but would love to see how they shovel them in so fast and what is the best technique for doing that.

Mr. Anderson stated you could dry fire your center fire gun with rounds that you can make with a spent primer, no powder and your projectile. He said it probably would not hurt your firing pin. I thought I would load these dummy rounds for realistic reloads but put shoe goo in for the primer. That way it would have a little give and help the tension out. Any comments on that? Thanks!

thanks for your input.

Bob

• 2 months later...

Just got through reviewing Matt Burkett's draw instruction in his series, Volumes 1-4, and it's likewise excellent. I've found the method he teaches of gripping the gun by coming in from the side, instead of coming down on the grip, or "scooping", works really well.

Just got through reviewing Matt Burkett's draw instruction in his series, Volumes 1-4, and it's likewise excellent. I've found the method he teaches of gripping the gun by coming in from the side, instead of coming down on the grip, or "scooping", works really well.

Ditto!

I adopted that method. It let me go after the gun from "hand at side" as aggresively as I do from "surrender".

(My magnetic holster used to slow me down a touch.)

The best selling point of Matt's draw (to me) was that it eliminated the extra motion involved to grab the gun from a lot of positions (namely, hands at side, as Flex says...). Instead of "up over the gun / down to the gun / stop / up out of holster" (all that happens really quick, of course), it becomes one "up - around - up" smooth motion. If done correctly, everything above your wrist simply moves from hands at side to presentation..... it leaves much less room for mistakes, too, and gets you to the gun the same way, every time, from any angle.

It also feels really cool :), and gave me a lot of confidence in my ability to repeat that draw every single time.

I need to see how Matt teaches it on the DVD, and compare to my memory of how he taught it in person. I might relearn some things..... ;)